Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Import/Rename RAW data from camera not possible

Hi all

I want to use Irfanview to export data from my digital camera (Nikon D500) to an external mass storage (via laptop) and during this process rename the files. I tried with files from the mass storage and it works fine, but if I want to do it with camera files, I can see the files in the section "Rename" and I also can select them, but I cannot draw them to the list to be renamed. No error messages, just a beep. I already loaded the plugins. Any idea? Thanks safarts

I don't have a camera, but I wonder if the problem is related to this one?

If you copy the files from the camera to the local hard drive first, I am sure you won't have this problem.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
      I don't have a camera, but I wonder if the problem is related to this one?

If you copy the files from the camera to the local hard drive first, I am sure you won't have this problem.
      Thanks. You're right - but if you have to copy 600 - 800 photos in RAW and wait to start processing, this is not an option since it takes too much time. Irfan recognizes the camera and the content correctly - so the rest should work also.

b.t.w - I don't think that a camera problem is comparable to a smartphone, it's not android.
      Last edited by safarts; 29.12.2017, 06:18 PM.

Comment

I had the same problem with a Nikon 3100 trying to download and convert RAW files to TIFF. The upshot is that Nikon software does not generate true RAW files but only their own version (NEF). I believe Nikon can supply a software update to generate true RAW files if you want to go down that route. An easier solution is to shoot in JPG fine and then convert into TIFF in irfanview. Works well with same result. Otherwise by a Canon. As far as I am aware irfanview doesn't recognise NEF files.

Comment

Originally posted by safarts View Post
          I don't think that a camera problem is comparable to a smartphone, it's not android.
          That is irrelevant. It is the way that they connect to the PC that is the cause of the problem.

Try a different batch renaming utility.
          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Tony View Post
            As far as I am aware irfanview doesn't recognise NEF files.
            IrfanView recognises a whole bunch of Camera Raw formats including NEF files.

Import depends on the formats.dll plugin

- Digital camera RAW formats (ARW CR2 CRW DCR DNG ERF KDC MRW NEF NRW ORF)

Comment

Working...
            X