Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: WIN10: no more drag & drop files?

IV Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by BadRobot2018 View Post
    Have you changed the permissions for the main IrfanView folder (Properties > Security Tab) and the main IrfanView .EXE in the same way, as suggested? Not sure why you need to change both as sub-folders/files are usually set to inherit permissions from the parent folder. But if that is the fix recommended then that is what you have to do.

It seems like a damned weird solution; why removing IrfanView permissions for the User account should be necessary for everything to work correctly I cannot even guess at.
    Thanks for the clarification.
    I managed to find those settings but only needed to remove this permission at folder level as the .exe file was correctly set after that.
    Please note that I also had to remove inheritance of permissions in order to be able to remove this one and that unchecking "run as admin" was not needed in my case as already set that way.

Finally SOLVED and many thanks to n3306tx for sharing this solution!
    Last edited by dsl25; 10.03.2020 at 05:20 AM.

IV Amateur
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

Quote Originally Posted by dsl25 View Post
    Yes that was my case. I finally found out that this was happening because I'm using an old version of Total Commander and never use Win File Explorer.
    It works with File Explorer and also with more recent versions of Total Commander.
    have been using irfanview for 10-15 years, win10 for as long as it's been available. problem started a few days ago -- no drag and drop onto irfanview.
    i've gone so far as to reinstall the OS, knowledgeably tinkered with the registry , and the problem remains.
    unlike others here, my drag and drop fails from file explorer, doublecommander, and freecommander. however, each of those will drag/drop that same file onto the windows desktop, or into other windows apps like wordpad. killing and restarting explorer does no good. and, because i just refreshed my OS, i know it's not a corrupt explorer.exe ...

am open to other possibilities.

Moderator Enterprise User Bhikkhu Pesala's Avatar
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

Quote Originally Posted by travelgirl View Post
    am open to other possibilities.
    Use the IrfanView Thumbnail Viewer instead of Windows Explorer.

IV Amateur
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

Quote Originally Posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
    Use the IrfanView Thumbnail Viewer instead of Windows Explorer.
    Instead, I went looking for a version that doesn't have the problem -- 4.35 . At the moment, it does everything i want, and doesn't have anything i've yet noticed that annoys me. I will definitely keep your suggestion in mind when circumstances change

Thread Information