Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When rotating, fill blank triangles created with mirror of the image being rotated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested When rotating, fill blank triangles created with mirror of the image being rotated

To illustrate the idea, if I straighten an image to make the horizon level, then crop, I might get some of the black space the rotation introduced. See attachments 1 & 2. If instead, I mirror the top edge (in this case) before rotating (see 3) then the final image is filled with plausible pixels from the original (compare 2 and 4).

The feature I am requesting would fill the 4 triangular spaces created by a fine rotation (or by the straighten tool) with pixels mirrored from the original.

The works very well for the common case of a foreground subject with a blurred background.
    Attached Files

The Microsoft Image Composite Editor might do what you want.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Thanks for your reply.

I don't understand if you are suggesting a time-saving alternative, or arguing against the feature I am proposing.

MICE is a special purpose tool for creating a big image from smaller component images. Perhaps it could be used to achieve the effect illustrated in my example, but I don't see that it would be any easier than using IrfanView as it stands today, as I did to create the example I attached.

Doubtless there are many pixel-pushing tools that can accomplish my task. I am proposing a modest addition that would make it easy in IrfanView.

Currently IrfanView allows you control the fill color of the four triangular areas that a rotation creates. I am proposing a different way to fill those triangles that would be easy to implement and useful in the common case of editing a photo by rotating and cropping.

Comment

Working...
      X