Thread: Transparent Background

IV Newbie

Default Transparent Background

I'm creating a signature that I can paste in to electronic documents, so I don't have to print, sign, scan, and email things I need to sign. It's been recommended by several sites on the internet to save the signature as a black image with a transparent background. I scanned it at a jpeg image, but don't know how to make the background transparent in Irfanview. Can anyone help?

Steve

Version
    IrfanView 4.38
    OS
    64-bit Win 7 Home Basic
    CPU Cores

Scan your signature again and save it as a GIF or PNG image. These formats can have a transparent background.

Better solutions are to add your signature to a font using eudcedit.exe or a font editor. Eudcedit.exe is part of Windows, just run it from the Windows Key + R run dialogue. It only produces bitmapped characters, but may be OK. It adds custom characters to the Private Use Area (PUA), which can be used with any installed font by inserting them from Character Map.

Adding your signature to a fully scalable Truetype Font is the ideal solution. FontCreator or Scanahand is the tool that you need for this job.
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 19.09.2008 at 04:21 PM.

IV Newbie

Default Transparent Background

Ok, I have it as a PNG. But I'm not sure how to select transparent for the background color. And how would I know the background is transparent? The only color in the foreground is black, so the background appears white.

Version
    IrfanView 4.25
    OS
    32-bit Win XP Pro SP3
    CPU Cores

Hi spthomas,

When you save your png, click on Show options dialog and there check Save transparent color. You will be prompted to select the transparent color after you click on Save.

To see something else than black through a transparent color, use another color than black for IrfanView background color.

Laurent
    Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Thread Information