Out of Memory??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Out of Memory??

Hello - I'm trying to paste a JPG image from the clipboard that I copied from another program but I am getting an Out of Memory error. I have 3GB of RAM, a 500GB HDD, and my virtual memory setting have no restrictions, so I do not understand why. Any idea what's going on?

Thanks,
    Tony

How big is that image?
    IrfanPaint developer
    The latest stable IrfanPaint version is the 0.4.13.70.
    IrfanPaint is now open-source (released under BSD license).

Comment

As a PNG file, it is 161KB. When I load the file from IrfanView, it loads OK. The problem happens when I try to paste the image into IV without first saving it in a file. I just verified again that I get the OOM message.

Tony

Comment

I'm not talking about the file size, but the width and height of the image and its color depth.
        IrfanPaint developer

Comment

400x400x24 as reported by IrfanView from the file version of the image.

Comment

Really strange, even in the uncompressed DIB format (that is the one that IV uses in memory) it should take only about 300KiB.
            IrfanPaint developer

Comment

Can you attach the image here? What was the other program?
              Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Here is the image. I pasted it into EssentialPIM. Then I selected it again and tried to paste it into IV, which then gve me the OOM message.

My profile details are correct.

Hmmm, paste does not work in the message box, so I am attaching the PNG file.

Tony
                Attached Files

Comment

Nothing odd about the file. Looks like it must be a bug with the EssentialPIM
                  Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I thought you said it was PNG. You uploaded a JPG. You also mentioned a JPG in your OP. Did you open the JPG in IrfanView, too?

Comment

Both the JPG version and the PNG version of the file loads correctly in IV. But if I do not create a file and just do a cut and paste then IV gives me the OOM. But if it matters, here's the PNG version of the same file.

As an experiment I tried to cut and paste the same image from EssentialPIM into MS Word and it worked. I also tried OpenOffice and it worked there also. I then saved the Word doc, closed it, and reopened it, selected the image, and tried to paste it into IV. That too worked. I then verified that selecting the image in EP and pasting into IV failed. It did. So it does sound like the problem is with EP as a server of the image although Word and and OO can deal with it even if it is wrong where IV fails to correct whatever the problem is.
                      Attached Files

Comment

I think the problem is the unusual invalid object EssentialPIM is trying to use. I tried copying an image from it and ran into the same problem as you. But, I don't think it is an IrfanView bug. I tried several other viewers and editors, and none of them even allow pasting of such objects. Look at MS Paint. I tried even Photoshop Elements and got this error:

Notice that the MS Office Clipboard does not even collect it. So, I looked in the Windows Clipboard, and nothing is shown except for the message, "The information is in binary format. ClipBook Viewer cannot display this format. To view the information, try pasting it into a document." In both Windows Clipboard and Word, the image is detected as text and not a picture or metafile. I even tried saving the data as a CLP file and loading that in IrfanView, but no luck.

I think that Word and other document programs are far more forgiving of such items, and can convert it into something usable. They accept pretty much anything, but graphics programs simply do not. So, I think the only flaw that IrfanView has, is that it does not dim the clipboard telling you it is not possible.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        X