Windows 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows 7

Using W7rc-32 or W7rc-64 .. Irfanview and AVG free ..
    It takes about 4 seconds to open a 2mb picture in Irfanview with AVG’s resident shield running.

I’m wondering if this is a problem in W7, AVG or Irfanview.
    And if time (updates) will fix it ??

This is clearly not a bug with IrfanView as it doesn't support Windows 7 yet. When a version is released that is meant to run on Windows 7, it might be appropriate to report problems.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

W7 is probably hogging resouces furiously. Each newer version of Windwoes has always taken twice as much of everything as the one before, but since Vista it seems to have gone exponential.
      Its: Belongs to "It"
      It's: Shortened form of "It is"
      ---------------------
      Lose: Fail to keep
      Loose: Not tight

---------------------
      Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

I don't know about anybody elses version of W7, but my RC1 installation manages resources more efficiently than any other version since Windows 2000 IMO...

I too have noticed that Irfanview opens slowly on my machine as well, and I too am running AVG...And it doesn't just do it when you open images...If you open Irfanview first without an image, it will open slowly, and high cyle the CPU...If you open an image within the window, it will open instantly...

So far, the only other things that I noticed is that it did it within any variation of the windows theme, Aera, Basic, and Classic...Running it in compatibility mode or any of the settings did not affect this behavior one way or the other...It hasn't quite gotten on my nerves yet, but I am looking for a fix, so it must be starting...

Comment

AFAIK it's because AVG, to scan the IV executable, uncompresses it in memory (since it's UPX-compressed), scans it, and then lets it run. Try to keep the uncompressed version on disk (you can uncompress i_view32.exe with UPX) and see if it loads faster.
          IrfanPaint developer
          The latest stable IrfanPaint version is the 0.4.13.70.
          IrfanPaint is now open-source (released under BSD license).

Comment

Dude thanks..!!!!!

I added the Irfanview to my exclude path in AVG's resident shield and my images are popping up faster than ever..!

Cheers..!!

Comment

Good to hear it works fine on Windows 7. Just installed it today -RTM version-; haven't tested irfanview yet. Let's see how it behaves

Thanks for the feedback!

Comment

Windows 7 is NOT a Resource Hog!

Originally posted by Noyb View Post
                Using W7rc-32 or W7rc-64 .. Irfanview and AVG free ..
                It takes about 4 seconds to open a 2mb picture in Irfanview with AVG’s resident shield running.

I’m wondering if this is a problem in W7, AVG or Irfanview.
                And if time (updates) will fix it ??
                Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
                This is clearly not a bug with IrfanView as it doesn't support Windows 7 yet. When a version is released that is meant to run on Windows 7, it might be appropriate to report problems.
                Originally posted by matera View Post
                W7 is probably hogging resouces furiously. Each newer version of Windwoes has always taken twice as much of everything as the one before, but since Vista it seems to have gone exponential.
                We're running Windows 7 with Norton AntiVirus 2010 Beta, on a 1 GB RAM Dell Latitude Notebook. IrfanView 4.25 (as well as 4.23 before that) work flawlessly and fast! In fact, while this configuration is under-powered for Windows Vista, it is quite sufficient for Windows 7 and is now our Production Machine!

Windows 7 is NOT a resource hog - every program we have works a little faster under Windows 7 or just as fast as it does on Windows XPP SP3! And every program works too - Windows 7's compatibility mode is good - you sometimes need an extra click - thats about it! You have an extra click to make (the Program Compatibility Assistant) while installing programs under Windows 7 too.

All said and done, our experience with Windows 7 has been extremely good! We all started with the mindset that Windows 7 would be even more resource-hungry in comparison with Windows Vista, but have come around - 360 Degrees! Click http://www.welloiledpc.com/windows7rc.htm for our experience with Windows 7!

Norton 360 has been our preferred AntiVirus and AntiSpyware, ever since it debuted. However since the next version of Norton 360 is under development (and the existing stable version does not work with Windows 7), we are running Norton AntiVirus 2010 Beta on the Windows 7 machine. Norton AntiVirus 2010 Beta (and 2009 before that) include Virus as well as Spyware protection.

We at WellOiledPC believe that freeware Security programs aren't sufficient, in today's world of viruses, spyware, phishing and other security threats!
                Download IrfanView Help Manual from:
                IrfanView Website - Here
                Sam_Zen's Website - Here
                Author's Website - Here

Comment

Working...
                X