No announcement yet.

File Support for .SAI and .XPG format.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested File Support for .SAI and .XPG format.

Hello.

I'd like to request file support for the .sai and .xpg files. These files are native of the popular Paint Tool SAI and IllustStudio, both of which are originally a Japanese Illustration softwares. The reason why I requested this is because currently there are no viewer available for these two file formats despite both being as frequently used as PSDs today. Even my Graphic design tutors recommended them over photoshop due to their "perfectness feel" for drawing with tablets.

I have included a sample file so you could tinker around with it.

If you need information on the software itself, here are the links to their respective pages:
    Paint Tool SAI: http://www.systemax.jp/en/sai/
    IllustStudio by CELSYS: http://www.illuststudio.net/

I have used Irfanview for 2 years and I am definitely pleased with it. I am sure with this addition, people would grow to like IrfanView more.

I have been using all kinds of software for over 20 years and never heard of these file formats, nor the software that you mention. If they are popular, it is only in Japan or Korea.

I know for a fact that Irfan is reluctant to add support for obscure file formats. You should look for other solutions — it is very unlikely that these formats will ever be supported.

See this earlier thread: Support for WebP Format
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I see. So I guess the chance would be near-zero then. Very well, and thank you.
      But even so, I'd still hope it get implemented someday.

Comment

Paint Tool SAI isn't only popular in Japan or Korea. I don't consider .sai an obscure format you may want to check Youtube and Google and you'll notice how everybody is beginnig to using it a lot and maybe give it a try.
        Last edited by gau; 23.11.2011, 06:47 AM.

Comment

If I have not come across it before in many thousands of hours browsing the Internet then its clearly an obscure format.

SAI Paint seems to be a 16-bit per channel Alpha+RGB application, which means that IrfanView won't be able to support its images anyway — at least not without a major rewrite. It cannot even support 8-bit per channel Alpha + RGB PNG yet.
          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Ok Thanks for your answer.

I'd like to suggest Delta6 to save the Paint Tool SAI files as .PSD if he want's compatibility or .PNG "32bpp ARGB", both formats save whites as transparency.

Comment

I'd like to suggest Delta6 to save the Paint Tool SAI files as .PSD if he want's compatibility or .PNG "32bpp ARGB", both formats save whites as transparency.
              I've been doing that before I requested here, actually. My problem is because both SAI and Illuststudio "bloats" my projects' filesize quite significantly when I save them as PSD (by about 1,5 to twice the size sometimes). But if Irfan doesn't want to do it, it's okay.

Comment

Working...
              X