Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Total hdd freeze when resizing image to 365 cm instead of pixel...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reported Total hdd freeze when resizing image to 365 cm instead of pixel...

As title says, IrfanView totally freezes my pc when setting a picture to 365cm instead of pixels. I know, that this operation needs a lot of disk space, but irfanview should ask for confirmation. It is nearly impossible to break this operation while running because system load is 100% and you cannot open taskman.

I have just resized a 5184 x 3456 px jpg photo to 547 x 365 cm without problems. Then to 1000 x 666 cm (this took about 5 seconds on my PC). What kind of image are you working on?
    IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

I just get an error message that IrfanView cannot allocate sufficient memory.
      Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I got the same error message when I tried to resize to 5000 x 7500 centimetres. It obviously depends on available memory. I have 16 GB on this computer.
        IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

I have only 3GB of ram on a Windows 8 x86 laptop. Mostly it happens, when opening irfanview and copying from clipboard directly after which i resize it to eg. 395 pixel. Whenever i set to cm instead of pixel - which was not my intention - this error happens.
          The notebook has an i3 core and constant hdd access which makes it impossible to open taskman nor any other program to stop this job.
          Last edited by gerhardM; 31.07.2013, 02:06 PM.

Comment

On my veteran laptop with 3 GB DDR2, core 2 duo and 32-bit vista, I am still able to resize a picture to 395 x 395 cm and it takes only a few seconds.
            IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

I don't think this is a bug — if you scale an already large image up to a ridiculous size then it will take a long time — even on a fast PC, but if that's what someone wants to do and if there's enough RAM to handle it, then IrfanView shouldl do what was asked, even if it takes an hour.

Just how big would the image be in pixels if resized? How much RAM would it require?
              Attached Files
              Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

This behaviour probably strongly depends on computer configuration and maybe also on operating system. My 'personal best' only took cca 5 seconds to resize the image. When I tried to rise ridiculous size a little more, I got the memory warning.

Saving the 31181 x 20753 px image as png with compression level 9 took more than 10 minutes, but it didn't freeze the computer. IV was using cca 25 % of CPU and 2 GB of RAM.

Well, this was enough playing for today. Have a nice day!

Click image for larger version

Name:	1100-2.png
Views:	1
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	80970
                IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

Hi,

since IrfanView is a 32 bit program it can only use 2GB of RAM. Sometimes this is to less for an operation and the single step undo buffer and it might be freezing. If you can reproduce this freezing on different machines you should contact Irfan directly.

Regards
                  Nils

Comment

Working...
                  X