Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Embedded profiles in PNG don't work correctly.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reported Embedded profiles in PNG don't work correctly.

PNG files display the wrong color entirely if they use an embedded profile: jpg works fine though. The pngs in question display fine in GIMP/xnview.

Please attach a PNG with this problem.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

In comparison.png if Irfanview was doing it correctly all 3 would look the same.
      When the file type is jpg, these images look correct following the same steps.
      As said, the pngs look correct in GIMP and xnview.

Edit: the images do look the same in the chromium mod I'm using as well. Although the forum's thumbnails are wrong.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Dalamar; 06.01.2015, 10:21 AM.

Comment

It looks to me that there is no colour profile embedded in originalnoprofile.png and something that looks like your custom monitor/display profile in convertedprofile.png.
        IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

Originally posted by Jacal View Post
          It looks to me that there is no colour profile embedded in originalnoprofile.png and something that looks like your custom monitor/display profile in convertedprofile.png.
          Correct. That should not be an issue. A profile is a profile. Color management is there to ensure the image is always displayed correctly. It is NOT.
          Why? should not be a question, so much as the fact there is about 2 programs that actually display it correctly (gimp and xnview, not counting my browser since it's not a proper image viewer).

I haven't tried with other color profiles. I suspect they would also have an issue, unless your program simply doesn't like this type of profile when used with PNG specifically. Because as I said, they look correct when JPG is used with the profile.

The only reason I even noticed is because I was hard coding the profiles to get wallpapers to display correctly on a wide gamut screen which does not have an srgb emulation mode, in Windows' nonexistant color management (Win7)/Broken management (Win8).
          I was previously using jpg on Win 7, but had to switch to PNG due to the bizarre way Windows 8 obliterates image quality for no apparent reason.
          Last edited by Dalamar; 27.01.2015, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Well, I might easily be wrong, but I wouldn't embed a monitor profile into an image. If you need wide gamut, export 16-bit images with wide-gamut rgb or prophoto rgb.
            IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

Originally posted by Jacal View Post
              Well, I might easily be wrong, but I wouldn't embed a monitor profile into an image. If you need wide gamut, export 16-bit images with wide-gamut rgb or prophoto rgb.
              This is a bug.

Also: I just tested with a vanilla AdobeRGB profile and IrfanView once again failed color management when the image was saved as png instead of jpg.
              PNG does support embedded profiles and color management.

---
              tangent

The image was literally hard converted to the monitor's profile to trick Windows into displaying a wallpaper correctly on a wide gamut screen, and like I said, this caused me to notice a bug in IrfanView which has become annoying to me. There are programs that display it properly (chromium mod I'm using, xnview, gimp) and programs that don't. I'm trying to rectify the problem here: jpg files are being color managed correctly while png is not, in this program, specifically.

That is how color management works. The profile says what is what, then the color managed application makes sure that the output looks correct given the circumstances. For example, on a wide gamut screen, sRGB material will look incredibly wrong on a wide gamut screen, which is where color management comes in - which requires an icc profile and correctly functioning color management.
              Not all screens have the same gamut, you know - my laptop's is 95% NTSC. (way wider than AdobeRGB)
              Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 29.01.2015, 05:36 PM. Reason: Shouting and rude comments removed. Please check out the forum guidelines.

Comment

Please, stop yelling at me. I simply suggested that you might be doing this in a wrong way. I still think so, but never mind. Not relevant.
                IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

Please send your bug report to Irfan Skiljan and tell us what he says.
                  Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

The other bug I reported was fixed in the latest version - however this one persists the same as before, color correction is not handled properly with PNG.
                    I'm using the 64 bit version.

Comment

Originally posted by Dalamar View Post
                      The other bug I reported was fixed in the latest version - however this one persists the same as before, color correction is not handled properly with PNG.

I'm using the 64 bit version.
                      Did you send your bug report to Irfan Skiljan? What was his reply?

Comment

I don't actually know how to contact him.
                        Edit: nvm found email
                        Last edited by Dalamar; 13.10.2015, 10:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X