Command line parameter jpgq is ignored

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no bug Command line parameter jpgq is ignored

Command line parameter jpgq is ignored when "Try to save with original JPG quality" option is set in GUI.

My script that uses the command line will then fail if someone is setting this option in GUI.

Yes it is and is what I would expect. "Try to save with original quality" overrides any fixed quality value however and wherever it is set.

Comment

I disagree. From the command line I don't know what is set in the GUI. Look closely at the following command:

i_view32.exe c:\test.jpg /jpgq=75 /convert=c:\new.jpg

What would you expect to be the quality of the result file? I would say 75, because that is what I have specified. Even the command line documentation says that the result file will be with quality 75.

Comment

It is not what is set in the GUI that matters, it is what is in the initialisation file i_view32.ini

Irfanview is an amazingly small program for what it does. I imagine that it achieves that by reusing the same code in Command lines and Batch conversion/rename operations that it does in the GUI. That is how it appears to work anyway. The value in the /jpgq option of a Command line probably just makes a temporary change to the value in the ini file for the duration of the operation.

The reason I said that I expected the quality setting to be ignored in the Command line if "Try to save with original quality" is set, is that is what the GUI does. It is often annoying that something left in the i_view32.ini file after using the GUI has an unexpected effect on the operation of a Command line option. I often use the /Panorama option in a Script file and am frequently caught out when the gap between images is not 0 as I wanted it to be but another value that I used in some other operation.

The solution is another of the options, /ini=[Folder], that allows you to use your own custom i_view32.ini file instead of the one that gets changed by the GUI. Just make sure that this ini file does not have "Try to save with original quality" set.

Comment

I see. Perhaps the ini-file should have been ignored when using the command line. Unless you specify an ini-file.

Thanks for the tip about the ini-option. That will probably solve my problem.

Comment

As explained above, it's working as expected. It might not be what everyone's expects, nor the perfect design, but it is working as designed, so it's not a bug.
            Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Working...
            X