ExifTool written IPTC tags in JPG not showing in IrfanView

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fixed ExifTool written IPTC tags in JPG not showing in IrfanView

I have a number of JPG files that were scanned in under Photoshop and then had IPTC tags added using exiftool. Specifically, I added IPTC:Caption-Abstract and IPTC:CopyRightNotice, and occasionally others. Those tags show up when the file is examined using exiftool (of course) and in Photoshop and even in the Windows file properties. But none of them are visible when the file is opened using IrfanView.

This is real problem for me, because if someone opens the file in IrfanView (our image browser of choice) and notices that the Caption is missing and then adds one, our other IPTC tags are removed (overwritten as blank)!

I have attached a file (img04.jpg) which displays this behavior - it has a Caption and a Copyright. This file has not been opened in PhotoShop after the initial scan, so neither IPTC tag has been XMP promoted. But they don't show in IrfanView.

If this is an IrfanView bug, I'd greatly appreciate a fix or a workaround.
    If the file was incorrectly written by exiftool (seems unlikely, since everyone else is happy with it), I'd appreciate a bug report that I could forward to exiftool.
    If this is just the way things are, I'd appreciate a workaround, so we can keep using IrfanView to maintain these files.

Thanks!
    Attached Files

Sorry, this is a very late answer, but since it might really be a bug, I decided to post it anyway.

IrfanView can only see the IPTC data in your sample image, after Photoshop's thumbnail - PhotoshopThumbnail, binary data - is deleted.

Neither ExifTool nor half a dozen image viewers, that I have tried, have no problems with the file, IV is the only exception. I also extracted this thumbnail with ExifTool from the image successfully.

Metadata support in IrfanView seems rather outdated, but, if I remember correctly, Irfan usually patches things, after a sample is sent to him.
    IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

Thanks for workaround

Originally posted by Jacal View Post
      Sorry, this is a very late answer, but since it might really be a bug, I decided to post it anyway.

IrfanView can only see the IPTC data in your sample image, after Photoshop's thumbnail - PhotoshopThumbnail, binary data - is deleted.

Neither ExifTool nor half a dozen image viewers, that I have tried, have no problems with the file, IV is the only exception. I also extracted this thumbnail with ExifTool from the image successfully.

Metadata support in IrfanView seems rather outdated, but, if I remember correctly, Irfan usually patches things, after a sample is sent to him.
      Thanks for the workaround - easy enough to delete the PhotoShop thumbnails. But it's not clear why the presence of a thumbnail should make IV ignore IPTC data that is actually there. I'm using IPTC instead of XMP precisely to make the data accessible in as wide a variety of viewers as possible. Pity that the presence of some extraneous XMP tags undoes this for IV.

Comment

You are right, this is a kind of funny. I suggest you to send the file and link to this thread to Irfan (his e-mail is in "About" info).

Another possible problem, regarding IPTC data, was discussed here:

So I only use IV to write metadata to files, that don't already contain them.
        Last edited by Jacal; 13.07.2016, 08:50 PM.
        IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

I'd like to do that. But, sorry to be so lame, I can't find an "about" link or a "help/about" link (and I've looked, not wanting to confess to being lame). Can you direct me to it, please?

Comment

The email link is on the Help menu, About IrfanView in the program not on this forum.
            Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Thanks. I did find it, eventually - I was looking inside the Forum - it never occurred to me that Irfan's email would be in IV itself!

Comment

Sorry, I should have been more precise.
                IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

This bug has now been FIXED. Irfan uploaded a new MetaData plugin to

This is labelled version 4.43, so I assume it will be part of the next standard release.

Thanks to Irfan for this quick fix, and to Jacal who correctly identified the presence of
                  a PhotoShop thumbnail as the precipitating cause.

At first, I couldn't understand why a PhotoShop tag could *possibly* interfere with IPTC tag reading.
                  But it turns out that both IPTC and Photoshop tags share the same JPEG APP13 segment!

One further detail: When IV *writes* IPTC tags, it rewrites the whole APP13 segment, so the PhotoShop
                  tags are lost. This doesn't bother me, but it might bother some.

Comment

Working...
                  X