Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pending v4.23: error message if loading some files in tiff format

Greetings,

When Batch converting tiff files to jpg, I am getting about 5-10% that do not convert, they have a "error, could not load" type error. All of the files seem the same to me, that is, they were all scanned to tiffs in a batch from a scanner. They (the error files) can all be opened by Windows, but receive an "unsupported file" error in Irfanview.

Is there any way to get to the bottom of the problem files?

Thanks,
    Dave
    Last edited by NW Dave; 08.03.2009, 04:26 PM. Reason: % errors

Can you provide a problem file for us to inspect?

Comment

I can, but they are in the 10mb range. Is there an upper limit to attacments?

Comment

2.86MB on the forum. You'd need to upload them on the web instead.

Comment

Try SpeedShare.org for uploading your file(s)!

Comment

Here is a link to a sample of the files that Irfanview can not work with. When you get to the link location, click "Download This File" Sorry for the Pop-Up, it is not necessary to download the file. (free site you understand)

Thanks for looking at this!
            Last edited by NW Dave; 08.03.2009, 03:42 PM.

Comment

I also cannot open it in IrfanView (decode error). If I open it in FastStone Image viewer and save it from there, then I can open that image in IrfanView.

I can open the original image in Windows Picture and Fax Viewr, Serif PhotoPlus 11, XnView, or Corel PhotoPaint 9. It is an LZW compressed 24-bit TIF image.
              Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 08.03.2009, 04:10 PM.
              Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

This is one of over 2000 slides batch scanned using VueScan and a Nikon 4000. Any idea how a small (5-10%) amout of files ended up different?

And, is opening and saving them in another program the only solution?

Thanks again,
                Dave

Comment

Have you tried contacting VueScan Support?

The saved file is a few hundred bytes smaller than your original so maybe the scanner software is appending some bytes that IrfanView doesn't like?

12,937,542 bytes (original)
                  12,891,964 bytes (saved from FastStone Image Viewer)

I suspect that the quickest solution would be to use FastStone Image Viewer to convert the files. Its free for home use, so why not try that? Press F3 for batch operations.
                  Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Thanks, Ill try FastStone, and/or open and save them in another program and then convert.

Thanks for your help and advise.

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
                      It is an LZW compressed 24-bit TIF image.
                      Windows Properties says it's 32-bit.

Attached Files
                      Last edited by Skippybox; 09.03.2009, 06:43 PM.

Comment

I was going by what Corel PhotoPaint told me, but FastStone Viewer also recognises it as 32-bit.

Can IrfanView cannot handle 32-bit images? Maybe that is the problem.

Why would one save scanned photographs as 32-bit? I don't see any advantage unless you want to use transparency.

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
                          Can IrfanView cannot handle 32-bit images? Maybe that is the problem.
                          Does not appear to be. I resaved the image in XnView. It still was 32-bit afterward and opened in IrfanView.

Attached Files

Comment

Apparently the program that wrote the original TIF did something wrong, and IrfanView uses an old TIF library that is strict, so doesn't accept the error.

Apparently IrfanView does not yet support 32-bit images so saving files will reduce them to 24-bit. If you need 32-bit TIF (or PNG), then use another program.

Comment

Yes, opening a 32-bit image in IrfanView generally is possible, but will display at 24-bit and save as 24-bit.

Comment

Working...
                              X