V4.25: Image not printed as displayed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reported V4.25: Image not printed as displayed

The image printed was distorted in that the width was reduced. For example a square picture came out rectangular with the width dimension squeezed.. I found a way to "cheat" the system by fooling around with the "custom" width and height but it was trial and error and wasted ink and paper. Also "portrait" would change to "Landscape without my input and vice-versa (Incidentally got the same result in Gimp)
    Vers 4.25 WXP

What are your printer settings?
    Have you selected "Best fit to page (aspect ratio)" or "Stretch to page (no aspect ratio)"?

see:

(Click to view full size!)

regards
    Frank
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Frank; 19.12.2009, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Well, I don't know what to check or uncheck.
      Here is where I am: Image on computer screen 10"w x 8.5"h
      "Custom" shows 5.68w x 7 h - obviously not right.
      I checked Orig size and scale, dimensions displayed 5"x5" and printed as such - NOT the rectangular dimensions displayed or desired.
      This is all VERY confusing. Is there a simple way out of this? Can someone just tell me what features to set?
      Thanks

Comment

It is your decision what you select!
        I would recommend a decision between "Original size (from image DPI)", "Best fit to page (aspect ratio)" or "Custom (aspect ratio)"!

Comment

I appreciate your taking the time to help me but that answer did not help. I want to print exactly what I see displayed on the screen in the correct dimensions. Which SPECIFIC setting should I use?
          Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by braxx20 View Post
            I checked Orig size and scale, dimensions displayed 5"x5" and printed as such - NOT the rectangular dimensions displayed or desired.
            From what you say it seems that the horizontal and vertical DPI are not the same. What does the image information dialogue say? The print size for Original Size is derived from the image DPI

An image of 1500 x 1500 pixels @ 300 dpi would print at 5" x 5"
            Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

... I want to print exactly what I see displayed on the screen in the correct dimensions.
              Which SPECIFIC setting should I use?
              Your picture = 10 x 8.5 Inches!
              That means you can use the letter format to print your picture!
              (The the small side of your picture and this paper size is exactly the same! Letter format = 8.5" x 11")

see:

(Click to view full size!)

But caution!
              Bhikkhu Pesala is right.
              The quality of the printed picture depends on the available number of pixels!

regards
              Frank

PS: If the problem exists further please upload a sample file!
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Frank; 19.12.2009, 09:07 PM.

Comment

The top box says Paper: Letter 300dpi
                Custom says 5.68 x7
                Landscape OR Portrait result in EXACTLY the same printed image; 5.68x7
                VERSUS the displayed image which is 10"w x 8.5"hi
                I'm happy with the 7" h BUT NOT the 5.68 w - obviously the proportions are wrong
                It seems to me that this is a Flaw or a Bug in the program or something that can be refined and improved.

SOLUTION!! The only way it seems to do this is to MEASURE the image on the screen with a ruler(10wx8.5h) and then to get a 7" wide printed image, multiply 7/10 times 8.5 which yields 5.95" THEN plug these into Custom and it comes out alright.
                Hopefully, someday the program can be adjusted to solve this problem

Thanks for your continuing help

Comment

Please send me the image for testing via Document Courier (current password = braxx20) or post a link to it for us to download.

I would expect the size to be exactly the same in portrait and landscape mode. If the proportions are not right, then I suspect that the DPI is not the same in both directions. If there is a bug, we probably won't be able to find it without seeing the image.
                  Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

The top box says Paper: Letter 300dpi
                    Custom says 5.68 x7
                    What's happen if you select "Best fit to page (aspect ratio)"???
                    (It would be nice/helpful to have the picture file and a screenshot of the printer settings from your IrfanView in action!)

regards
                    Frank

PS:
                    The only mistake, which I found:
                    The preview of the selected paper format (in printer settings) isn't proportional to the real size of the selected paper format!

Comment

Both images have a print size bigger than A4 or US Letter so printing at Original Size is not going to work.

Use a scale option between 0.6 or 0.7 and centre on the paper. Otherwise, set the width to 26-28 cms for the landscape picture, and lock the aspect ratio.

For the portrait photo, set the paper to portrait, and set the custom width to about 18 cms, again locking the aspect ratio.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 20.12.2009, 07:17 PM.

Comment

I am attaching shots of the image in IV and also the Print dialog page. Hope this helps
                        I have W XP Media Center and IV vers 4.25

Originally posted by Frank View Post
                        What's happen if you select "Best fit to page (aspect ratio)"???
                        (It would be nice/helpful to have the picture file and a screenshot of the printer settings from your IrfanView in action!)

regards
                        Frank

PS:
                        The only mistake, which I found:
                        The preview of the selected paper format (in printer settings) isn't proportional to the real size of the selected paper format!
                        Attached Files

Comment

Hhmm, ...
                          Where is the problem? Where is the preview of your picture?
                          It seems the proportionality of your picture is correct! (7:5.95 = 10:8.5)
                          (Can you tell us the exact the pixel size of your picture(s) to check the real proportionality!)

[Edit]

Ooops, ... now I see also a problem!

If you enter in "Custom" for the width a value bigger than the maximum width of the selected paper size then the picture becomes unproportional! And that despite the selected "(aspect ratio)"!
                          Last edited by Frank; 21.12.2009, 04:25 PM.

Comment

You must check the Aspect Ratio check box. The height will then be the correct proportion in relation to the custom width (in cms) that you enter.

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
                              You must check the Aspect Ratio check box. The height will then be the correct proportion in relation to the custom width (in cms) that you enter.
                              That's right!
                              But how looks the preview?
                              Proportional or unproportional?

Comment

Working...
                              X