Full screen view and Windows taskbar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Full screen view and Windows taskbar

As far as I can remember, it's a problem with all previous Windows and IrfanView versions that is still present with the latest: when in full screen mode, IrfanView blocks the Windows taskbar. Some other apps, browsers for instance, let you show and access the Windows taskbar when you move the mouse cursor to the bottom of the screen, or show the bar (along with the Start menu) when you hit the Windows key. But IrfanView locks the access with the mouse and doesn't allow the taskbar to show when the Windows key is pressed, only the Start menu appears (check the image).

Desktop PC: Windows 10 Pro - 64-bit • Intel Core i7 • 12 GB RAM
    Laptop PC: Windows 10 Pro - 64-bit • Intel Core i5 • 6 GB RAM
    IrfanView 4.60 • 32-bit

You're not the first to notice this, but its probably not a bug. See this earlier thread for example.

Try the Advanced Search if you want to find some more threads.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Pressing Windows key + Tab is quite useful for changing the displayed window if you have Win 7, Paultx.
      I seem to recall that there was a Keep the taskbar on top option in XP. Does that work with Irfanview full screen mode. No use for us Win7 users of course. I wonder why MS dropped it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mij View Post
        Pressing Windows key + Tab is quite useful for changing the displayed window if you have Win 7, Paultx.
        I seem to recall that there was a Keep the taskbar on top option in XP. Does that work with Irfanview full screen mode. No use for us Win7 users of course. I wonder why MS dropped it.
        Thanks, Mij. But key combos Alt+Tab and Windows+Tab are used to switch to open apps and windows, the former shows that old view of small icons or windows on a centered bar and the latter shows them in Aero Flip 3D.

As for the taskbar on top, AFAIK it's default in Win7, you have to choose to hide it in its properties.

Anyway, that's not the point here. I wonder why IV takes over the full screen in such a way you can't access the taskbar unless you leave the full screen mode. IMHO, if it's not a bug, it seems to have some problem with Windows (not only 7), since that doesn't happen with other apps–and here are some I use, non-Microsoft: Chrome 12, Acrobat 9, Photoshop CS4, PhotoFiltre 6, and CorelDRAW X5.
        IrfanView 4.60 • 32-bit

Comment

I tried pressing Windows+M (minimize) and was surprised to see that the taskbar was still hidden. Pressing Shift+Windows+M restores Irfanview as it was but it has lost the focus so you need to click on it with the mouse to get back control.
          While it was minimized I did also open Task manager and shut down Irfanview (I had to type Task Manager in the Search box since there is no taskbar visible). As soon as irfanview closed the taskbar reappeared, so i guess that Irfanview deliberately hides it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mij View Post
            As soon as irfanview closed the taskbar reappeared, so i guess that Irfanview deliberately hides it.
            The question here is: what for? Of course, it would be great for editing purposes, but I think it should be under the user's control.
            IrfanView 4.60 • 32-bit

Comment

Working...
            X