Paste text into selection not working in IV 4.32

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reported Paste text into selection not working in IV 4.32

Pasting any text (block or a single word) into a selection box in an image seems to not be working since I upgraded to v4.32 from v4.30

When paste is chosen from the menu (or via ctrl-v) the selection box blinks/flashes but nothing happens. Pasting image content from the clipboard into a selection area works fine. Pasting the text into/onto the image without a selection area works as before and replaces the image.

Doesn't matter if "Paste into selection: Fit to selection" option in settings is checked or not, and same for "Paste special" config option.

I suspect that this is an intentional change, not a bug, though its not actually listed on the history of changes. If you want to paste text into a selection, open the insert text dialogue (Ctrl T) and paste it there.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
      I suspect that this is an intentional change, not a bug, though its not actually listed on the history of changes. If you want to paste text into a selection, open the insert text dialogue (Ctrl T) and paste it there.
      That isn't an option. Requires way too much work, trial and error to get font size correct for pasted text to be readable in various size images, and becomes a nightmare when running with ini file read-only (repaste text, change font, positoning, font color, font size, and font style multiple times to get pasted text readable instead of just ctrl-v)

I've reverted back to v4.30 and I guess I'm stuck there. It was a good run (I've used IV since 1996 or 97), but this "update" breaks things for what I use IV for.

P.S. The "selection box dropped when dragging with mouse" issue isn't fixed so I'm not missing out staying at 4.30

Thanks for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
        I suspect that this is an intentional change, not a bug, though its not actually listed on the history of changes.
        Why do you think that, Bhikkhu ? If it had been intentionally removed I would expect nothing at all to happen when an attempt was made to paste text from the clipboard into a selection. In fact the hourglass appears for a short time indicating that some process is running (just as it has done previously) but nothing now appears in the selection. In addition, if Irfan had really intended to remove the ability to paste text from the clipboard, I would expect to find the full screen paste disabled as well, not just paste into a selection.

Comment

Working...
        X