Canon CR3 RAW files: "Not a valid RAW file"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confirmed Canon CR3 RAW files: "Not a valid RAW file"

I was able to open CR3 (compressed RAW file from Canon EOS R6) files with IrfanView 4.54 (I think this was the version... unfortunately I didn't pay much attention to what version I had before updating), but I updated to 4.57 (32 bit) and updated to the latest plugins (32 bit), and now I cannot open CR3 (compressed RAW) files.

I receive the message "C:\[path removed].CR3 : Decode error ! Not a valid RAW file"

Click image for larger version  Name:	2021-05-11_12-28-24_i_view32.png Views:	0 Size:	9.0 KB ID:	91280
    Click image for larger version  Name:	2021-05-11_12-28-14_i_view32.png Views:	0 Size:	52.1 KB ID:	91281
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 11.05.2021, 05:44 AM. Reason: Fixed version numbers

It works for me. What version of CAMRAW.DLL shows in Help, Installed Plugins?

Please post a link to a CR3 file that gives an error.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I posted this in screenshot above. Camraw.DLL is 4.57

Here are are two Canon EOS R6 RAW files (they're not mine, I just Googled for some on the internet and these were the first I found)

This is an uncompressed RAW file. I can open it in Irfanview: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vygg96a4v...on+R6_0781.CR3

This is a compressed RAW (CRAW) file. I can not open it in Irfanview: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vygg96a4v...on+R6_0782.CR3

Comment

The compressed file opens fine in IrfanView 4.54, so the obvious solution is to install IrfanView 4.54 and its plugins to a separate folder. I used C:\TEMP\IrfanView.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
          The compressed file opens fine in IrfanView 4.54, so the obvious solution is to install IrfanView 4.54 and its plugins to a separate folder. I used C:\TEMP\IrfanView.
          I am not sure that is a very good solution - the current version of the product is broken and cannot open these files, which is a regression considering the older version could open them. It should probably be fixed. However, it's a workaround that I shall have to use.

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
            I have looked around the Irfanview site and cannot find anywhere to download old versions of the program (and old versions of plugins)

Comment

Have a look on my review page for old versions. Send a bug report to Irfan Skiljan and let us know what he says.

Comment

Thanks, I've "downgraded" to 4.56 which is working so far.

I thought this was a bug report?

Comment

Please read the sticky thread on bug reporting.

Comment

Originally posted by jonnwarne
                    Hey, can you explore out the different new things that's are related to this. Sometimes these type of software are creating some errors but these are address able you can easily check out.
                    Please read the sticky thread on bug-reporting that I linked to above.

Comment

Running Irfanview 64 bit, I assume I cannot access CR3 files? I seem to be missing the camraw.dll plugin. Does it exist for the 64 bit version?

Comment

It is found if you open Help, installed plugins, but only the 32-bit version opens CR3 files for me.

Has anyone sent a bug report to Irfan Skiljan yet?

Comment

Working...
                        X