X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no bug EXIF Thumbnail "BUG" - Security problem

Hello,
    this problem has already been posted in the german section, but there was no response.

This is a very critical Problem. If you crop pictures with Irfanview it does not refresh the thumbnail in the exif infos!

So, this is the problem I'm talking about: If you crop pictures to not reveal something private or security relevant information, the thumbnail will still show the whole picture as it was before!

Example:

I want to crop a picture to use it in the web and I don't want this picture to show all the people that were originally on it.

You can see it here: http://h11.abload.de/img/c1njwrwqgl2u8t1ql_1hdjjb.jpg

But because of the thumbnail problem with irfanview, it looks like:

[[On the left i use photoshop for the crop, on the right irfanview - SAME CROP!]]

I hope that you can understand my problem with this and will fix it in the near future.

with best regards,

EXIF

Just uncheck "Keep original EXIF data" in the Jpeg Save options when you save the cropped image and the embedded thumbnail will not be saved (nor any other Exif data that you might want to keep secret).

Comment

Thanks, but the other EXIF Information are informative.
      This is an good workaround, but not really a solution.

I hope the next release can update the EXIF thumb.

Comment

I don't think this is even a bug, let alone a critical security issue. More like a feature request.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

It the software not update the thumb, i think, it's a bug. If you change the picture, the program still should change the thumb too. If the program does not change the thumb, it automatically affects the security.

But regardless whether it is security issue, bug or feature request ... I hope it will be included in future versions.

Comment

You could see it the other way round: retaining the original thumb is a security feature, so that falsified images can be detected. - I think it is working as it does by design. In fact I don't know any image editing program that refreshes the thumb.

currently running 4.56 / 32 bit

Comment

I have forwarded a report to Irfan to ask if it is intentional or not.
              Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Reply received from Irfan Skiljan. As expected, this is not a bug.

Comment

Working...
                X