Win11 bug: Cannot change association of jpg files to Irfanview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no bug Win11 bug: Cannot change association of jpg files to Irfanview

I got a new Windows 11 machine. I tried to install Irfanview 4.60 64-bit. The I tried to use Iview to associate jpg files with it. But it didn't work. What happened was now I can no longer associate JPG files with any app since there is no JPG file entry in the control panel for default app file types. Win11 does something different to associate file types with an app now. This is also a problem with JPEGView, another piece of software.

This page has more details on the problem and the fix. https://www.winhelponline.com/blog/c...-default-apps/

Will there be a fix for Irfvaniew coming in the future for this? I really like it!

p.s. I should add this is an OEM HP computer, and my user has admin rights, as I'm the only user on the machine.

EDIT: I have tried many ways to set the default app of JPG files to Irfanview but I don't have any "Always use this app" checkbox in any dialogs. In File Explorer I have done a right click on the JPG file, Open With, then Search for app, I chose Irfanview, but there is not "Always use this app" checkbox. Also the control panel for Default Apps does not have a JPG file type. I was also unable to change the app for Photos.
    Last edited by bacca400; 21.04.2022, 04:43 PM. Reason: Add more details.

Hello.

IrfanView Win64 does not work properly (after uninstalling MS Photo), it is not possible to associate .jpg .png .webp formats with IrfanView. Only UWP from Windows Store works properly.

Please fix this.

Comment

I would try the same procedure like in Windows 10. Set IrfanView as your default Photo Application in Windows Settings. Then run IrfanView as Administrator and set the file associations.
      My system: IrfanView 4.62 64bit, Windows 10 22H2, Intel Core i5-3570, 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Comment

Windows 11 not support .png and .bmp ?

Comment

The issue with file associations should be solved by setting IrfanView as default photo application.

Unfortunately it's difficult to test IrfanView in Windows 11, because many computers are not supported by Windows 11. Also Windows 11 is pretty recent and there may be bugs in the operating system itself.
          My system: IrfanView 4.62 64bit, Windows 10 22H2, Intel Core i5-3570, 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Comment

Microsoft make some changes in default application settings and now priority has UWP and Microsoft applications. I fix this by installing irfanView 64 UWP and IrfanView 64 Win64. Then i uninstall IrfanView UWP and normal IrfanView works correct.
            Last edited by Robert84MK; 18.10.2021, 09:51 PM.

Comment

You may try this: Right click on the file, select Open with - Choose another app, in the list select IrfanView and check Always use this app.

Comment

I ran into this issue myself yesterday building a new W11 machine. I installed as an administrator. I tried the set associations in Irfanview (64 bit). Most image types set as expected, but not jpg, png, and maybe a few others. I was unable to set Irfanview as a default viewer in the control panel. It opens up with a long list of file extensions, and jpg is not in there. I don't think that you can see and option when you right click on the file to "open with - choose another app". Windows11 also refuses to allow the user to use VLC I hear. I have not tried that yet. MS seems to be deliberately trying to force an inferior product on the customer. Probably not intentionally, but it seems that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert84MK View Post
                  Windows 11 not support .png and .bmp ?
                  It does, but only with it's own Photos app.

Comment

I've setup Windows 11 on an old computer for testing. IrfanView seems to work just fine. File associations in Windows 11 don't work automatically. You have to associate the individual file types manually. The "Open with" option seems to do the trick.

Comment

Originally posted by JendaLinda View Post
                      I've setup Windows 11 on an old computer for testing. IrfanView seems to work just fine. File associations in Windows 11 don't work automatically. You have to associate the individual file types manually. The "Open with" option seems to do the trick.
                      I'll try again when I get home. In the Default Programs section there was no support for jpg at all. It's not in W11's list. I will try right clicking a jpg and see if I can open the file with Irfanview, but I think I have already tried that. I'll check again.

Comment

I got this on the Windows 11 support community:
                        "I am Dave, I will help you with this.

Open IrfanView, and open Task Manager, then select the Processes tab

Find IrfanView on the Processes tab. right click that and choose Open File Location

Note down the location of the IrfanView executable

Right click any JPG file and select Properties

Click the 'Change' button on the resulting dialog.

Then navigate through the resulting menus until you get to choose to find the app yourself and navigate to find the IrfanView executable you noted down earlier

Save that setting."

I have not tried it yet. When I get home I will.

Comment

Right click any JPG file and select Properties

Click the 'Change' button on the resulting dialog.
                          This is just another way to open the same dialog as right click and "Open with".

IrfanView should be in the list. If not, you have to browse for it. The default paths are:
                          • 32 bit version: C:\Program Files (x86)\IrfanView\i_view32.exe
                          • 64 bit version: C:\Program Files\IrfanView\i_view64.exe

After all, this is not a bug, it's a quirk of Windows 11, so I've marked the topic as "no bug".
                          Last edited by JendaLinda; 21.10.2021, 07:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JendaLinda View Post
                            This is just another way to open the same dialog as right click and "Open with".
                            Yeah... I already knew how to do "Open With". That's not a problem. The real issue is that Irfanview cannot be set as the default program for many extensions, such as JPG. I'm stuck. I assume it is Microsoft's fault, they have always been pushy with their own software.

Comment

The Default apps section in Windows 11 settings is a mess, just ignore it.

On my test system, I was able to set file association using the "Open with" dialog and checking "Always use this app". This worked for other programs as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X