Cannot do proper borderless printing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confirmed Cannot do proper borderless printing

I don't now if this is a bug or not . I've posted questions in other sections but did not receive any reply except a suggestion to report it as a bug.

I've been using Irfanview for more than 20 years and was resigned to having white borders on prints on the left and at the top even when no such borders are specified. I'd forgotten all about the borderless printing option until recently, but it doesn't work correctly anyway when selected.

When I select borderless at the printer preferences and print with Irfanview, the white borders at the top and left are absent. But parts of the image are also cropped off on those two sides. The whole image is shifted left and up so that white borders appear on the opposite sides, that is, on the right and at the bottom.

When borderless is selected only with Irfanview print settings, it crops the image on all sides so that there are white borders on all sides.

In all cases, Image resolution and size in pixels are precisely matched to paper size. The attached images are scans of the actual printouts, printed on plain paper at low quality. Scanned with a coloured background to show the blank borders.

Depending on the job and the intended use of the printout, the "bug" can be a minor annoyance or a real pain. I face no such issues printing with Photoshop, so it looks as if the problem is with Irfanview.

My current system is:
    Windows 10 x64
    Irfanview 4.60 32-bit
    Printers: Brother DCP-T520W, Canon LBP 2900B

Click image for larger version

Name:	With Photoshop.jpg
Views:	531
Size:	171.2 KB
ID:	94979Click image for larger version

Name:	With Irfanview.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	335.5 KB
ID:	94980
    Irfanview 4.56, Windows 7U x64

Have you reported this problem to Irfan Skiljan? If not, please do that and let us know, what he says.
    The contact e-mail address is in Help -> About IrfanView
    My system: IrfanView 4.62 64bit, Windows 10 22H2, Intel Core i5-3570, 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Comment

I didn't want to test on a real printer, but it works for me on a PDF Printer. The borderless checkbox does not apply to a PDF driver, but setting the margins to zero does the job. Note the resulting image size on paper.

Can you post a screenshot of your print dialog?

Name:	Borderless Printing.png
Views:	367
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	94983

Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I accidentally deleted my last post while adding a line.

When I print with the "Best fit to page" option, it fills the page without borders BUT crops off parts of the image on all sides. This is worst at the bottom.

Name:	Best fit.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	175.6 KB
ID:	94990
        Irfanview 4.56, Windows 7U x64

Comment

It's pretty much clear that the feature doesn't work as intended. It works with PDF output but doesn't work with real printers.
          My system: IrfanView 4.62 64bit, Windows 10 22H2, Intel Core i5-3570, 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Comment

Working...
          X