Error bulk selecting jpeg images

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Error bulk selecting jpeg images

When using the bulk conversion in IrfanView, and selecting JPG/JPEG as the filetype in the dropdown and clicking add all, it successfully adds *.jpg files, but it does not find or add the *.jpeg files. Seems that this extension is being overlooked in the filter.

It works fine for me. Which version of IrfanView are you using?
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

The latest IrfanView v4.60 (x64).

The filter text states "JPG/JPEG", but it only adds "*.jpg" when clicking Add All. I just tested a number of different scenarios with filenames and the results are the same. The code must not have "JPG/JPEG, *.jpg;*.jpeg" in that specific section of code.

The option "Common Graphics Files" does find them, however, I am converting to a specific format, and it also finds those. And I have it set to replace files / delete originals after, which means it picks those up and fails on them and deletes them. So that is kinda unexpected, but it is experimental imo. That specific feature should not delete any file if it fails on the convert / batch operation of that file.
      Last edited by dethknite; 23.09.2022, 08:41 PM.

Comment

This is how my batch dialog looks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Add JPG and JPEG.png
Views:	292
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	95782
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
          This is how my batch dialog looks.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Add JPG and JPEG.png Views:	0 Size:	119.1 KB ID:	95782
          But there are no *.jpeg files in there... the *.jpg work fine. Try renaming some of the files to have a *.jpeg extension... and try again. It will not find them or add them.
          Last edited by dethknite; 23.09.2022, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dethknite View Post
            But there are no *.jpeg files in there... the *.jpg work fine. Try renaming some of the files to have a *.jpeg extension... and try again. It will not find them or add them.
            There are, I was trying to hide some private files.

Name:	JPEG Files.png
Views:	181
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	95785

Comment

I can confirm that files with *.jpeg extension do not get added with the button Add All. Bhikku Pesala, did you add it manually because it is at the end of the list? Maybe you should consider renaming your images to the most common extension *.jpg.

Comment

Originally posted by j7n View Post
                Bhikku Pesala, did you add it manually because it is at the end of the list?
                Give me some credit. I just renamed a few files to *.jpeg to test again. After selecting jpg/jpeg as the file type, and clicking Add All, this is what I see.

Click image for larger version  Name:	JPEG Renamed Files.png Views:	0 Size:	27.7 KB ID:	95792

Some files one downloads have a *.jpeg extension. It is a valid extension.
                Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 24.09.2022, 08:59 AM.

Comment

Including all subfolders makes no difference.

Name:	Include Subfolders.png
Views:	180
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	95798

Comment

Originally posted by j7n View Post
                    I can confirm that files with *.jpeg extension do not get added with the button Add All. Bhikku Pesala, did you add it manually because it is at the end of the list? Maybe you should consider renaming your images to the most common extension *.jpg.
                    Yeah.. personally, I despise .jpeg (unecessary waste of char space and remnants of an old age). I use a bulk rename tool as best as able to always rename stuff, however, I am currently trying to batch convert some 80,000+ images to jxl format, in multiple folders. I could have previously used the Common Image Types selection, however, some 10,000 images are already jxl interspersed, and I lost some due to the error mentioned prior with bulk conversion/delete source after conversion (it fails if the format is the same as source/dest are the same, and after failing, it also deletes it).

Anyways.. I will find a way to get around it... just wanted to bring it up as it seems a small enough bug and I am sure someone will happen across it at some point besides me.

Comment

I'm also converting jpegs to JXL, so I've got rid of all ".jpeg" files alerady. However, I'm using cjxl to do the job. It's a command line tool, it allows lossless jpeg transcoding to jxl. That's especially useful for archiving photos. If needed, djxl tool can restore the original jpeg file from the jxl.

cjxl and djxl are part of libjxl package.
                      My system: IrfanView 4.62 64bit, Windows 10 22H2, Intel Core i5-3570, 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
                        Including all subfolders makes no difference.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Include Subfolders.png Views:	34 Size:	91.0 KB ID:	95798
                        Hmmm... I tried setting it up on my development PC, and did not see the issue, though I noticed an option that may have made a difference. I use the following 2 options, but on the other PC at the time I may not have had the "Overwrite existing files" checked, which would mean duplicates would remain and be picked up on subsequent runs. Anyways, thank you for looking into this as well, and if I happen across it again I will be sure to capture the exact specifics.

(I also never have anything in the output folder so it does an in-place conversion.. which the screenshot doesn't show that here but I am certain that is always the case)

Click image for larger version  Name:	Z71HTCpVDY.png Views:	0 Size:	134.6 KB ID:	95893

Comment

Working...
                        X