"Save (original folder)" broken in 4.32-4.35

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reported "Save (original folder)" broken in 4.32-4.35

This command must offer saving in directory of opened picture, but she always offers D:\ (like "Save as ...").
    IV 4.56 32-bit

No such problem here — what is your OS?
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

XP Pro SP3
      IV 4.56 32-bit

Comment

Still broken in 4.36
        IV 4.56 32-bit

Comment

Still working fine here in 4.36, so unless you can tell us more there's nothing we can do to help. If there is a bug, it cannot be fixed unless it can be reproduced by others. I am also using Windows XP SP3.

How are you opening the pictures?
          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Probably you don't have update permission for the ini-file. - Who installed IrfanView on your system? Are you working with an admin account when the error occurs?

currently running 4.56 / 32 bit

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
              How are you opening the pictures?
              I realized what was happening: the bug appears in 4.32+ when specifying images without a path (it is in the current directory): i_view32.exe image.png

This works correctly: i_view32.exe d:\path\image.png

Originally posted by jazzman View Post
              Probably you don't have update permission for the ini-file
              No, i am admin.
              IV 4.56 32-bit

Comment

I tried what you are doing in earlier versions of Irfanview (4.28 and 4.30) and it did not work there either.

I am not really surprised that it does not work. Does WinXP support the %cd% system variable? I notice that when I type it into the Search box in my Win7, it invites me to download and instal an optional extra system component to provide support for it. If Windows does not support it natively then I would not expect Irfanview to do so either.

Command prompt (and cmd.exe) clearly has to support it since it emulates DOS. So why not just use %cd%\image.png for your file name in the Command line? Then cmd.exe will add the current directory path to the image name before passing it to Irfanview.

Comment

Originally posted by Mij View Post
                  I tried what you are doing in earlier versions of Irfanview (4.28 and 4.30) and it did not work there either.
                  Strangely enough, it worked perfectly for me.

Does WinXP support the %cd% system variable?
                  Code:
                  E:\TEMP>echo %cd%
                  E:\TEMP

E:\TEMP>
                  If Windows does not support it natively then I would not expect Irfanview to do so either.
                  Windows have winapi function "GetFullPathName" :-)

So why not just use %cd%\image.png
                  I have already put a crutch. :-)
                  IV 4.56 32-bit

Comment

OK. I have managed to reproduce your problem but not by putting the file "image.png" in the current directory of Command Prompt.
                    Maybe your WinXP does behave differently to my Win7 or perhaps it is working just by luck (see below for what does work).

If I run the line
                    Code:
                    i_view32.exe image.png
                    with both i_view32.exe and image.png being in the Command Prompt current directory I get an Irfanview error message. With no path name stated, Irfanview does not find the image in that current directory. I am of the opinion that it cannot do so because the Windows API "GetFullPathName" probably returns the working directory of Irfanview and not of the Command Prompt interpreter.

If I put image.png in the "Start in" folder of Irfanview then the image is opened correctly. Under Set Program start folder in the Start/Exit options of Properties/Settings I chose the Specific folder option and specified the folder I wanted to use as "Start in" there. I have not explored what the None option does though I suspect it might result in "Start in" being set to the folder where Irfanview's i_view32.exe file is located.
                    When I do now open files from the Start in folder though, using your Command line, I do see what you described. When I select Save, earlier versions of Irfanview (I used v4.28) do open the Save dialog at that same folder but later versions (I tried 4.35) do not.

Code:
                    i_view32.exe %cd%\image.png
                    works fine with image.png in the Command prompt current directory, for both opening and saving, in all versions as does just
                    Code:
                    image.png
                    if png files are Associated with Irfanview. In both cases you can see in the Command prompt dialog that it has expanded the code to include the full path name before passing it to Irfanview.

When using Batch files I found that another useful form is
                    Code:
                    i_view32.exe %~dp0image.png
                    That allows you to put your image files into the same folder as the batch file itself, which would be handy if you want a portable version on a USB stick. You could even put the %~dp0 bit in front of i_view32.exe too and have i_view32.exe also in that same folder. Note that you do not need a \ after %~dp0. One is supplied by the code, unlike %cd% where you do need the \ after it.
                    Last edited by Mij; 20.07.2013, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X