Messed up menu when viewing images in details view

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no bug Messed up menu when viewing images in details view

Normally i have irfanview setup so that it displays the thumbnails.
    Today i switched over to the details view to see and sort the images by date.
    I choose to display all all thumbnails from all subfolders (even though it displays the details view 🤔).

When selecting an entry in the list view, it erases the icon of the row:

Click image for larger version

Name:	first attachment.png
Views:	253
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	97658

double click an entry in the details view to view the image, it displays a blank window:

Name:	third attachment.png
Views:	194
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	97660

Furthermore the main menu entries of the application are blank:

Name:	second attachment.png
Views:	181
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	97659
    This behaviour can be observed after loading ~3000 images of 9000 in all subfolders...

irfanView doesnt work correctly after this behaviour, sometimes it even displays an out of memory message (cant catch it right now).

Doing the same steps with the thumbnail view selected works perfectly fine (even for more than 3000 images in folders and sub folders).

Greetings Wolfgang

Confirmed. The program uses 9,999 GDI objects and becomes unstable.

Comment

Please send a bug report to Irfan Skiljan.
      Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan Paint • Irfan View Help • IrfanPaint Help • Riot.dll • More Skins • FastStone Capture • Uploads

Comment

Bhikkhu Pesala i already did, after reading the faq

Comment

Thanks. Let us know what he says. If he send you a test version as a zip file, please attach it to the forum in case someone else has the same issue.
          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan Paint • Irfan View Help • IrfanPaint Help • Riot.dll • More Skins • FastStone Capture • Uploads

Comment

Hello,
            he wrote

Hallo Wolfgang, Kein Bug in IrfanView ... da wurde seit langer Zeit nichts verändert. IrfanView zeichnet diese Icons gar nicht, das macht Windows/Treiber 😉 (oder ein Menü, das macht ALLES Windows) => es sind zu viele Dateien in der Liste ... der Grafiktreiber kann damit nicht umgehen (Speicher-Probleme) und dort ist der Fehler. IrfanView speichert alles in eine einzige Thumbnails-Liste ... solche Probleme (Speicher-Verwaltung) gab es in Win9x ... später wurde es besser, anscheinend kommen die alten Windows-Bugs zurück 😉 --- Wednesday, March 29, 2023, 6:56:15 PM, you wrote:

Hello, as already posted here https://irfanview-forum.de/forum/pro...n-details-view i think this is a bug, maybe memory leak or something like that...

-- The current IrfanView version is 4.62 Greetings/Gruesse/Pozdrav, Irfan ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Irfan Skiljan, DI, EMail: irfanview@gmx.net Author of IrfanView, free image viewer for Windows On Internet: http://www.irfanview.com http://www.irfanview.net http://www.irfanview.info "Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto" = "I am human, therefore nothing human is strange to me." Terentius ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- -
            Does not seem to be very promissing to get it fixed.

To compare this issue with others, my system has a RTX3090 with the driver version 31.0.15.2756. display resolution is 2560x1440 at 59.9Hz...

Windows is 22H2 Home, Build 19045.27728

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I think we can blame this on Windows, so I have tagged the topic as No Bug (i.e. not a bug in IrfanView).

Comment

Does your system has enough RAM to store all loaded images and thumbnails. Did you close all other programs while you work with IrfanView?
                It seem that the problem is a lack of RAM.
                Win 10/64 Home 22H2 IrfanView 4.66/64
                Hate has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet. (Maya Angelou)

Comment

Lack of RAM? I have 32GByte of RAM installed... And displaying the details view should not need as much RAM as displaying the thumbnails vew...

Comment

It was just a guess since you didn't give us that info. 32 GB ist definitely sufficient.
                    Win 10/64 Home 22H2 IrfanView 4.66/64
                    Hate has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet. (Maya Angelou)

Comment

The number of GDI objects an application can create is limited. Adding more RAM doesn't increase it. You can raise the limit somewhat with registry settings, but at a risk of starving other programs and making them unstable too. With Win9x the "resources" were very limited. You were reminded about the % in the about box. But on Windows 2008 R2, IrfanView can still only create 10,000 objects. Every piece of text or icon on the window is a "GDI object". Not just the icons. And the size of each icon don't matter.

Open the Task Manager and enable the columns GDI and USER objects.

Clearly the design is not optimal because other applications exist that can display a very long listview by not allocating all the icons at the same time.

The report should be tagged as WONTFIX or similar.

Originally posted by Translation
                      No bug in IrfanView ... nothing has changed there for a long time. IrfanView doesn't draw these icons at all, Windows/drivers do that? (or a menu that does EVERYTHING windows) => there are too many files in the list... the graphics driver can't handle it (memory problems) and there is the error. IrfanView saves everything in a single thumbnail list ... such problems (memory management) existed in Win9x ... later it got better, apparently the old Windows bugs are coming back?

Comment

Originally posted by j7n View Post
                        The report should be tagged as WONTFIX or similar.
                        I already tagged the topic as No Bug, which is the nearest tag available.

Comment

Working...
                        X