WebP Security CVE-2023-4863

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fixed WebP Security CVE-2023-4863

Is IrfanView affected by this security vulnerability?

A significant vulnerability in the WebP Codec has been unearthed, prompting major browser vendors, including Google and Mozilla, to expedite the release of updates to address the issue. Update (9/13/2023): So far the Web Browsers that have confirmed a fix and released an update include: Google Chrome[1], Mozilla Firefox[2], Brave[3], Microsoft Edge[4], and Tor Browser[5]. If your browser of choice is

Please send the information and your request to the developer of IrfanView. Irfan does not read this forum.
    You'll find his E-Mail at Help > About IrfanView...
    Be so kind to tell us what he answered.
    Win 10/64 Home 22H2 IrfanView 4.67/64
    Hate has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet. (Maya Angelou)

Comment

Literally everything that uses Libwebp is affected by it. That would include Irfanview.

But it's less of a problem for games that don't load user-generated images.

Unlike an Image Viewer application where loading user-generated images is the entire point of the program.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuki Dent View Post
        Please send the information and your request to the developer of IrfanView. Irfan does not read this forum.
        Done, no reply from him so far. If he does not read this forum, then I ask myself why he has put a link to this forum on his homepage.

Comment

Originally posted by Winnie2 View Post
          Done, no reply from him so far. If he does not read this forum, then I ask myself why he has put a link to this forum on his homepage.
          Irfan Skiljan is the sole developer for IrfanView. There are millions of users; mostly using the free version, no doubt.
          Hopefully, other users can solve most issues with troubling Irfan.

What is IrfanView?
          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Received a mail from Irfan. He stated that the main program is not affected, but he will update the affected WebP plugin.

Comment

That was quick. Thank you Irfan

Comment

Updated WebP Plugin is available on the plugins page now.
                Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 15.09.2023, 11:41 AM. Reason: Added link to plugins page

Comment

Working...
                X