X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reported Deleting JPG - Long loading time for nex image

Hi.

OS = WIndows XP (yess, still there)
    IV version = 4.35, timestamp exefile: 19/11-2012.

The issue is pretty much what the title suggests. While viewing full sized JPG's (5 - 18 mpx) and deleting one, it typically takes three to five times longer to load the next picture compared to when I switch directly to next image.

It's seems to be regardless of what camera was used to take the pictures. Also the total number of images in current folder seems to have no effect.

Also, this is when the images is stored on my local harddrive, so I know that the delay is not caused by a slow hdd.

Thanks
    If it hurts not to drint, don't waste the bottle then.

No sign of any problem here on my old hardware — either way it takes about 1 second to load the next 12 megapixel image, whether I use the "Next" button, or the "Delete" button.

I tried different directory sort orders, without finding any change to the speed.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Have you got Jump to next file after deleting/moving set in the File handling tab of the options? If so the list of files in the folder will be resorted every time you delete one. If there are a lot of files in the folder that can cause a significant delay.

Comment

I have that setting enabled, but I still see no significant delay when deleting files.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Mij View Post
          Have you got Jump to next file after deleting/moving set in the File handling tab of the options? If so the list of files in the folder will be resorted every time you delete one. If there are a lot of files in the folder that can cause a significant delay.
          I answer:
          The Jump to next file after deleting/moving is activated.
          The typical amount of files in a photo folder is between 10 and 20, not many files.

[edit]
          I had to try in a actual folder to have a reiable test here.
          I just copied a folder with 35 jpg images (43 files in total) taken from the same camera. Average file size is about 3.7MB.
          Jumping from one image to next image takes typically about a half second. After deleting an image, it takes anywhere between two and seven seconds before next image loads.

[edit 2]
          New test on the same folder. All the test I did before was done in full screen mode or display option --> "Fit only big images to desktop".
          I now disabled the last setting so that zoom = 1:1, and did the test over again.
          And - the delay problem seems to be gone. Even when I activate full screen mode, the delay is not there. The issue seems to have blown away as smoke in thin air.

As I don't know what causes this, I can only suggest to solve the issue by deleting a big (measures more pixels than desktop resolution) image when zoom level is 1:1.
          Last edited by Sprintdriver; 24.04.2013, 04:27 PM.
          If it hurts not to drint, don't waste the bottle then.

Comment

Working...
          X