No announcement yet.

Feature request - always highlight the contents of the resize fields

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Feature request - always highlight the contents of the resize fields

I often change the aspect ratio of images a tad when resizing. Not always, but often (long story as to why, but it's not because I'm insane). As a result, I check and uncheck "preserve aspect ratio" accordingly. Changing that setting before specifying the resizing changes the behaviour of the fields a little. Normally when you click on one (width or height), it's entire contents are highlighted. If I change the "preserve aspect ratio" setting before clicking on a resize field, the behaviour changes and the contents of the field isn't automatically highlighted. On "lots of resizing days" that sometimes makes me want to cry.

Thanks for Irfanview! I couldn't imagine life without it.

Learn to use access keys in dialogues. This will select the values automatically, and is much faster than using a mouse. So, for example, if you want to resize a portrait image to 600 x 800 pixels the sequence would be:

Ctrl R, Alt a, Al S, 600, Tab, 800, Enter

If you have to resize a whole bunch of images, then perform a Batch Operation
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
      Learn to use access keys in dialogues. This will select the values automatically, and is much faster than using a mouse. So, for example, if you want to resize a portrait image to 600 x 800 pixels the sequence would be:

Ctrl R, Alt a, Al S, 600, Tab, 800, Enter

If you have to resize a whole bunch of images, then perform a Batch Operation
      Thanks for the reply.
      Those options would work, although I don't often resize a whole bunch of pics the same way, but I had another thought.... what if Irfanview highlighted the contents of the resize fields any time they were selected? I think that'd help

I'll confess if typing "Ctrl R, Alt a, Al S, 600, Tab, 800, Enter" is much faster than using a mouse for resizing, it must be in a universe with different laws of physics to the one I live in.
      Seriously though.... maybe I could type that faster than using a mouse once I'd done so several hundred times, but I'm a mouse guy. I don't have to take my eyes off the monitor to use the mouse. My keyboard is on a slide-out draw under the desktop.That's incentive enough to avoid using it for anything short of writing an essay if possible, but even if I was happy to slide it out, it's impractical when the cat's sitting on my knee, which he often decides to do about 20 seconds before I realise I need to use the keyboard. I think he could be psychic.

I know I still need to type numbers when using the mouse, but fortunately I have a mouse hand and a finger typing hand, the latter usually not requiring me to look at the numeric keypad while typing numbers, which is handy when it's hard to slide the keyboard out due to the proximity of the cat, or when the ratio of keyboard sliding effort and the duration for which I'll be typing seems rather disproportionate.
      Last edited by yetanotherid; 15.06.2016, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X