This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Show Image Comments over Image as Overlay

1. I write my comment in image metadata (shown on 1.png)
    2. My comment is visible on status bar but you can't see comment if window is small. (2.png)
    3. Show comment on image as overlay (3.png)

FYI: Comment showing over image is just OVERLAY, green text is not written on image
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 16.09.2016, 01:58 PM.

In my opinion, it's an ugly solution to the problem.

If you use the recommended View, Display option of Fit Images to Window 1:1 and use a large enough toolbar set, the Status Bar will always be long enough to show the last field (IPTC Caption in your case).

There's no need to overlay the text on the image, which won't work well if the text colour is the same as the image background. By keeping the information in the GUI, it will always be easy to read.
    Attached Files
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Ugly to who? You, not me.

I have a comment with 500 characters, status bar can't show it all.

The information is in the user interface, the text is drawn on interface, not written to the image itself.

You can use shadows and outlines to make text distinguishable. That's why I used outline in my first post.
      Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 14.09.2016, 03:58 PM. Reason: Shouting removed

Comment

You can do all this in Full Screen Mode

Use $C to display JPEG comments (see screenshot below)

Click image for larger version

Name:	iv_JPEG_comment.png
Views:	1
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	81484

PS: You can toggle the display by hitting 'n', so you can alternatively see the image without the text overlay.
        Last edited by jazzman; 14.09.2016, 04:28 PM.

currently running 4.56 / 32 bit

Comment

I have quite a lot of photo-related information displayed in full screen mode, but wasn't aware of the 'n' shortcut. Thanks, jazzman!
          IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

Originally posted by jazzman View Post
            You can do all this in Full Screen Mode

Use $C to display JPEG comments (see screenshot below)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4471[/ATTACH]

PS: You can toggle the display by hitting 'n', so you can alternatively see the image without the text overlay.

That's requires full-screen man, not very helpful when you just want to open image, look at comment and close it.

By the way, when it's full screen, the text is at top left, so you have to move your eye to edge of screen, not helpful either when you have a big monitor.

Comment

Originally posted by askaaska View Post
              By the way, when it's full screen, the text is at top left, ...
              wrong! look again.

and if you keep saying 'not helpful' to everything that's not 100% you'll find life very hard indeed.

currently running 4.56 / 32 bit

Comment

Wrong! Did you know that people are different and have different preferences? Just like you have a certain preference, I also have a preference, which is the easiest way possible to do the thing I mention. I don't want to do it in 3 steps or 4 steps, I want do this in 1 step, which is to view without going fullscreen.
                If IrfanView had open SDK, I would not request this but made the changes myself.
                Unfortunately Irfanview is not open source. It's a closed wall software just like Facebook.
                You have no option but to request features and hope that whatever who's in charge will consider your request.
                You will be at mercy of the software author. He is the god and you are just a mere user who has to obey and stick with options author provides.

Yesterday I wrote a tool / software that will do a job that takes a minute in one second.
                It makes my life easier now.
                And it's called efficiency, it's what programmers do and you sure don't look like one.
                If I could edit Irfanview myself, I would do it myself and not ask here sir
                You can divert the topic and say "Irfanview is free and you don't have to use it"
                I agree, that's why I'm asking here for the feature because there is no open-source SDK and asking is better than not asking
                Last edited by askaaska; 18.09.2016, 12:15 AM.

Comment

You're welcome to make feature requests here, and others are welcome to comment on them. People have different preferences and priorities. If I see some support for a feature request, I will forward it to Irfan Skiljan myself and ask his opinion, then tell everyone what his reply was. This is not his forum, and he does not post here. We are just long-time users of IrfanView.

If there is no support for a request, I do nothing. There is nothing here worth arguing about. The suggested workaround to use fullscreen does offer the option of positioning the overlay text over the image, so jazzman was not wrong, and his replies were helpful.

If you wish to argue, please go elsewhere. Try to remain civil even if you disagree with someone else's opinion. Read the sticky threads in this forum, and the links in my forum signature, then do whatever you wish. I am now closing this thread.
                  Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 18.09.2016, 03:16 AM.
                  Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Working...
                  X