No announcement yet.

Navigate continuously thru IrfanView Thumbnails with cursor keys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Implemented Navigate continuously thru IrfanView Thumbnails with cursor keys

In IrfanView Thumbnails, I'm navigating over images with the right cursor key on the keyboard so that when I reach an image I want to view large I press enter. I reach the right hand edge and the cursor stops. To get to the next photo, which is now in the left hand side, I have to select the down arrow then navigate right-to-left along the images.
    Instead, with continued presses of the right cursor key, IrfanView should automatically jump to the far left hand side of the window, and keep scrolling through left-to-right over the images until it reaches the bottom.

Thanks

I can see that navigation with the keyboard is awkward in the Thumbnail viewer. You can solve the problem by switching to detail view or list view, but that creates a worse problem of not being able to see any images, just file names.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Perhaps it may not be easy to implement or it would have been done by now. Anyway, I have forward the request to Irfan Skiljan as I don't see any convenient workaround. Navigating back and forth is a bit awkward with the keyboard.
      Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I agree, it is a kind of awkward, but, on the other hand, this kind of navigation would be expected in a thumbnails-with-preview mode, which IrfanView doesn't have.
        IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

Is there any way to get it with the File Open dialogue? I seem to recall a setting to use the default Windows dialogue.

Comment

Thanks for passing it on.
            The same applies if you have the shift button down and are navigating through highlighting a number of files for, say, copying (using F8).

Comment

I received a reply.

Originally posted by Irfan Skiljan
              Actually: Windows is to "blame" here ... I am not changing the key handling, the keys there are handled by Windows in a standard ListView object.
              The best solution: Windows should do that.

Comment

Irfan Skiljan sent me these test versions, which seem to work as desired.

Extract the archives and copy them over your installed versions. Let us know if you have any problems.
                Attached Files

Comment

Yes. Fantastic. Works fine on Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.
                  That's a very worthwhile feature / fix IMO.

Comment

I'm afraid this solution might not be optimal yet.

With previous behaviour, image data popped up after every selection move (like at mouse-over). Now this seems to be broken, data don't show up unless one moves the cursor vertically. So navigating with right cursor key now actually does nothing useful (except, well, moving the selection).

Confirmation would be appreciated.
                    Last edited by Jacal; 14.10.2016, 12:58 AM.
                    IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

Confirmed. Please send a bug report.

Comment

Here is Irfan Skiljan's reply:

Hmm, I have (at the moment) only one solution for this ;-)

=> to move the mouse to the new thumbnail ... this will cause the new tooltip text to show.

OK?

Do yo want a new test version?
                        If I understand this correctly, what I wished - having the new, non-awkward behaviour, but reintroducing the thumbnail info pop-ups - can currently not be implemented.

Personally, I don't find the new solution useful, although it does enable normal Shift+Right Cursor Key selection of thumbnails. I prefer the (very) old, awkward serpentine navigation with info pop-ups. But I might be a minority in this case.

Comments would be welcome.
                        IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

I think, if I am selecting or navigating thumbnails with the cursor keys then I don't care about the popups. If using the mouse to select thumbs, the popups appear correctly.

Comment

This "awkward" behaviour seems to be as old as the Thumbnails viewer is (since version 3.00 from 06.04.1999). I did notice it before, but didn't care, I obviously don't tend to navigate through thumbnails in this way. So if the new behaviour ("better, but not perfect") will be implemented, I will certainly have no problems with it.

I didn't notice this kind of quandaries in other image viewers though.

Have a nice day!
                            IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

Jacal, I see this same issue on Windows 74 64-bit with 64-bit IrfanView.

Comment

Working...
                              X