No announcement yet.

Options > Properties/Settings would be better renamed to just Settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Supported Options > Properties/Settings would be better renamed to just Settings

The Options > Properties/Settings... menu would be better renamed to just Options > Settings.

No other software I am aware of uses the term "Properties" for the options or settings menu (options, settings, and preferences are common).

"Properties" indicates instead the properties of the currently open image (see instead Image > Information...). This could be confusing.

"Properties/Settings..." looks as though it is an unmade decision, as though the author couldn't make up their mind which to choose.

Thanks

That's your first option - whether you call it Properties or Settings. When I first used Irfanview about 17 years ago you did not have the choice. It was just called Properties.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dialog v3.00.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	81496

Comment

Yes, I think after 17 years people have had time to get used to calling it Settings. "Properties" is now obsolete.
      Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Except that longtime users have become accustomed to the keyboard shortcut P.

Some other applications have different labels, e.g. "Preferences" in Opera, "Options" in Firefox.

No need for a change IMO.

currently running 4.56 / 32 bit

Comment

Originally posted by jazzman View Post
          Except that longtime users have become accustomed to the keyboard shortcut P.

Some other applications have different labels, e.g. "Preferences" in Opera, "Options" in Firefox.

No need for a change IMO.
          How about changing it to Preferences? Other languages will be different, of course. In German it is Einstellungen.
          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I suppose that when it was changed from Properties to Settings/Properties the Properties was retained because of the shortcut.
            Shortcut S is already taken by Save As.

currently running 4.56 / 32 bit

Comment

Originally posted by jazzman View Post
              Shortcut S is already taken by Save As.
              Shortcut P would still be appropriate for Preferences.

Comment

Preferences is a good choice.

Comment

Working...
                X