Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Implemented JPEG XL Support

Hello!

Are there plans to support JPEG XL format in IrfanView?

It's open source and free to use.
    Last edited by Winnie2; 06.01.2021, 09:39 PM.

Hello,

Just read this article on heise.de:
    Das neue Bildformat JPEG XL soll die hohe Bildqualität von PNG mit besserer Kompression als JPEG verbinden und sich für alle Arten von Bildern eignen.

and asked me the same question - are there plans to support JPEG XL in Irfanview?

Comment

Unfortunately, the only person who knows this does not read this forum. You will need to ask the developer, Irfan Skiljan.
      See Help, About for his mail address.
      Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 14.01.2021, 10:19 PM. Reason: Fixed typos
      Win 10/64 Home 22H2 IrfanView 4.66/64
      Hate has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet. (Maya Angelou)

Comment

+1 for Jpeg XL support

Comment

I would like to see XL support too. So far I do not know any Windows-based program with this format.

Comment

Has anyone forwarded this request to Irfan Skiljan yet? Let us know his reply and I will update the thread.
            Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Since I live in the same country in which Irfan was born, I have just sent him an e-mail in our native language and asked him about the planned inclusion of R/W support for JPEG-XL.
              Lets hope that an email with a title written in his native language will catch his attention

Comment

Did Irfan reply yet?
                Win 10/64 Home 22H2 IrfanView 4.66/64
                Hate has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet. (Maya Angelou)

Comment

Is there any news on this? It's been a couple of months.

JPEG XL is going to be a very important image format, so it would be interesting to hear Irfan's response the email that Bosanek sent him.

Comment

Just sent a donation of 20Eur to Irfan for implementing JpegXL as promised on JpegXL Discord

Comment

JPEG-XL support is coming to web browsers. I'm going to be using JPEG-XL for archival purposes. It has two key features perfect for this:
                      • JPEG-XL has excellent lossless compression, better than PNG and lossless WebP, much faster than OptiPNG and PNGOut.
                      • JPEG-XL can losslessly and more efficiently compress standard JPEGs, this process is completely reversible, so you can get the original JPEG file.
                      My system: IrfanView 4.62 64bit, Windows 10 22H2, Intel Core i5-3570, 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Comment

It doesn't look like anyone has updated the folks in this thread, so I'll say this: Irfan has added JPEG XL support to a test version of IrfanView. More info here:
                        Earlier this year I was in back-and-forth communication with the developer of Irfanview regarding some minor display issues with a couple of...

I'm also super excited for JPEG XL. It has gotten great results for everything I've tried it on.

Comment

Direct download to the test version.

Read the instructions for installation in "How to.txt"
                          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

There is also a 32-bit test version.

But it doesn't function under WinXP even though Dependency Walker doesn't show missing imports. I'm disappointed that an image encoder is 2.5 MB. Obviously Irfan can't do anything about it if he included a complete library written by someone else.

Comment

WinXP is too old, it fell into the vintage Windows family like Win9x. You shouldn't use such old versions of Windows as a main operating system anyway, you can't even get up to date web browsers for them.

The library is pretty big, but it includes everything you need to encode and decode JPEG XL images. The standalone cjxl and djxl command line tools are nearly 5MB in size each. It seems the IrfanView JPEG XL plugin is compressed, it takes a second to load the plugin for the first time, but the decoding itself is much fater than in Microsoft Edge for example.

The IrfanView JPEG XL plugin works pretty well so far. I found just two bugs. When viewing images with transparent background, there is one black pixel in the upper right corner. Another issue is that JPEG XL animations are playing too fast. Otherwise it can display everything I create using cjxl. The JPEG XL encoding options in IrfanView are very basic. I understand that complex options would be overwhelming for average users. I'm going to use cjxl to encode JPEG XL images for now.

And I have to correct myself. JPEG XL has great lossless compression, but it's not fully automatic at the moment, even in the slowest setting. The encoder requires user to tweak encoding parameters to achieve good lossless compression of some pictures. The encoding part of the library is still in development, so hopefully this will improve.
                              My system: IrfanView 4.62 64bit, Windows 10 22H2, Intel Core i5-3570, 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Comment

Working...
                              X