X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Microsoft Office Document Imaging .mdi

Hi
    I am new to this forum.
    Have searched forum for .mdi references but nothing came up.
    Could it be possible to view .mdi images or is this only controlled by M$.

The .MDI format is not in the associations list of IrfanView.
    And I see little priority in implementing this format.
    The M$ info about this :

While you can open and edit TIFF files created with Office Document Imaging by using many other graphics applications, MDI files can only be opened or edited in Office Document Imaging. If you are going to share files with people who are using Office Document Imaging 2002, or another document imaging program, save your files in TIFF format for compatibility.

In general, images that are saved in the MDI file format take up less disk space than the same images saved as TIFF files. The image quality of an image saved in the MDI file format is comparable to that of the same image saved in TIFF.

So it's a native Office format. Maybe Open Office can handle this too..
    Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

I *could* use a .mdi view/convert plugin

Originally posted by Sam_Zen View Post
      The .MDI format is not in the associations list of IrfanView.
      And I see little priority in implementing this format.
      The M$ info about this :

While you can open and edit TIFF files created with Office Document Imaging by using many other graphics applications, MDI files can only be opened or edited in Office Document Imaging. If you are going to share files with people who are using Office Document Imaging 2002, or another document imaging program, save your files in TIFF format for compatibility.
      o o o.

So it's a native Office format. Maybe Open Office can handle this too..
      Sam,
      Some of us made this mistake, early on, of taking the MS default for the ODI save format. I would surely be wonderful if someone would make a plugin so I could batch convert a ton of .mdi's to .tif's. Have been unsuccessful at scripting the Office windows imaging app and activeX to do this. Dont want to take the time to do it one at a time, save as .tif in Office Document Imaging, ergo, a batch type job. (Keep time and date stamps also<g>)
      As to the space issue, I'd imagine most people don't have it much anymore. With drive costs down and performance up, disk real-estate is cheap. I'm spinning almost 2 TB of space on my workstation, and have more on my SOHO net.

Just my two cents worth.
      --FBIG

Comment

Originally posted by FormerBigIronGuy View Post
        It would surely be wonderful if someone would make a plugin so I could batch convert a ton of .mdi's to .tif's.
        Ask Microsoft to do this. They messed up, let them sort out the mess.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
          Ask Microsoft to do this. They messed up, let them sort out the mess.
          Nooooooooooooo! They'll just make a bigger mess! ROFL

They hid the setting to change the default file type very well. And the TIFF options don't amount to much. It is still useful sometimes, in spite of itself.

I can't get it to do a proper TIF without going through MDI first anyway.
          Last edited by matera; 27.09.2008, 02:47 AM.
          Its: Belongs to "It"
          It's: Shortened form of "It is"
          ---------------------
          Lose: Fail to keep
          Loose: Not tight

---------------------
          Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Working...
          X