Paste other image into floating selection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Paste other image into floating selection

Well, IV is a great viewer, but an awfully bad picture editor!!

It almost made me go mad, after overwriting my original picture three freaking times!! (Good I had saved it to an external file, because the undo function works according to the phase of the moon, i. e. if you need it badly, you cannot undo! :P)

I had to insert a slice of another picture into the original picture to "fix" it, but couldn't.
    I still have the old Paint Shop Pro 5.0x installed on my home PC because it is no bloatware yet and I can blindly operate it, even if drunk

PSP can do something that IV can't: paste into a floating selection!

That is, you load a picture, then you paste some smaller picture from the clipboard INTO the new picture, so that the smaller picture will be outlined and floating, i. e. moveable. This way you can move the smaller picture pixel-exact to the location where you want it to be.

In IV, you can do that too. BUT:

- you must know the EXACT location where to put it, to have a starting point for the rectangular outline (coordinates!)
    - the rectanglular outline to put it in must match EXACTLY in size like the smaller picture, otherwise the smaller picture gets auto-zoomed (what a nonsense!)

Sorry, but for the time being I will need to look out for another tool capable of doing that. I read so many rave reviews for IV, but for me, these are basic functionalities which should be available. And since IV has been developed for many many years, I'm wondering why these basic functions are not available, whereas some bells & whistles are (which I may merely need once a year).

That permanent auto-zoom of slices here and there is a pain in the neck, too, always makes me end up with some 5000x5000 pixels picture, which sometimes can't even be undone (if you don't do it in time!)
    Last edited by grotty; 29.01.2008, 09:51 AM.

Originally posted by grotty View Post
    Well, IV is a great viewer, but an awfully bad picture editor!!
    That's what it is — a Viewer. If you're trying to use it as a picture editor, then you're barking up the wrong tree.

With the IrfanPaint plugin, we can now do a bit of editing, but it is still the wrong program to use for more than basic touching up or annotation. Think MS Paint, not PhotoShop.

See this thread: A Word to the Over-eager.

I hope IV never becomes a full-blown photo-editor. When it does, I will stop using it, and use FastStone Viewer, or something else instead.

I believe that your request would need tu use layers, and then we're getting into advanced photo-editing needs. No doubt someone will also then need freehand selections, masking, anti-aliasing, etc.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I definitely disagree with the term "bad picture editor".
      Restricted in options doesn't mean auto that it's bad.
      IV can edit pictures in a limited way, but the functions available are performed quite well, certainly not bad.

I want to emphasize the distinction between a 'viewer/editor' and a 'painter'.
      Both categories must remain their own advantages, instead of merging into the same.
      One can open PSP also just to view a single file, but it would be quite clumsy compared with using IV for that.
      Would be like going to the grocery 50 m around the corner with a RollsRoyce, just to get some fruit.
      I prefer to have a toolbox with different applications to be used at different levels of need of action.
      Instead of searching for the one 'big suite'. It proves to be much more elegant and efficient.
      Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Working...
      X