Shortcut key to "Batch conversion" for current image

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Shortcut key to "Batch conversion" for current image

Here is something that should be quite easy for you to implement and would save me and perhaps many others a tremendous amount of time: A shortcut key for running "Batch conversion" for the current image in the viewer/editor.

Ideally there should be two shortcut keys - one key (the one normally used) that runs batch conversion for the current image with the last selected options without any questions and another key (when changing options) that displays the batch conversion dialog with the current image selected as input file.

Background: For blog/forum posting I (1) crop all my pictures manually to get the best part and then I always (2) resample, (3) color adjust and (4) rename each file with a prefix and save as jpg. If steps 2-4 could be done after manual cropping by pressing just one single key it would be a real timesaver. (And no to crop and save under a new file name manually and then run the batch conversion the "normal way" in order to resample, color adjust and save under a third file name is far more complicated and even more so though I usually process only a couple of pictures at a time before publishing and publish several times a day.)
    Last edited by andreas2; 11.08.2008, 10:49 AM.

Run the batch operation from the Thumbnails view, then you can use Start Batch with selected file(s) (shortcut B).
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 11.08.2008, 04:30 PM.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Thanks, I did not know about that shortcut (B), but it is still a lot more complicated than my suggestion since I still need to:
      1) manually crop the picture
      2) press S
      3) enter new filemane
      4) press T for the tumbnails view
      5) select the pictures
      6) press B

Instead of just pressing one single key after manually cropping each picture. The picture quality will also suffer when saving .jpg files twice instead of once.

Comment

Use lossless cropping (Ctrl - Shift - Y)
        Save crops to a default folder.
        Have batch dialog always open in that folder.
        Its: Belongs to "It"
        It's: Shortened form of "It is"
        ---------------------
        Lose: Fail to keep
        Loose: Not tight

---------------------
        Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Thanks, the quality is not the problem then but the main problem still persists, going via the thumbnails view is far more complicated and time consuming, especially when you edit just one or two files at a time as I usually do.

Comment

It appears that "lossless cropping" is not really the same as normal cropping, due to nearest-block-rounding you do not get exactly the marked area. Furthermore "_crop" is appended to all files and that's not what I want. Back to square one.

Imagine how simple this would be with the shortcut key I suggest.

Comment

I can understand why you want it but I would hate to have a key that I might hit accidentally and apply the batch operation and resave my current image file.

Comment

Possible Workaround

Your idea seems like a time saver, but as Mij stated, its a bit dangerous letting powerful things run accidentally and unattended.

Unfortunately, what you want isn't really possible, since a conversion requires a file that you can't supply; your image resides only in memory. You are probably in search of a macro. However, you can't build one in IV. But, you can come close.

Bhikkhu's idea is probably best, and I don't know if my workaround is much faster. You will have to decide if it is faster, better, and/or worth your time setting up.

I would suggest you exploit some of the beneficial command line options in IV (Help>Overview>Command Line Options). Make sure you back up your work, as always, when experimenting.

Initial Set-up

1. If you know what files you'll be working with, I would suggest placing them in an easily accessible folder named Pictures.

2. To simplify the save process, maintain quality, and perform the batch conversion, set up these items:
                • Create a new folder named Input.
                • Create a new folder named Output.
                • Create a Windows shortcut named RenameCMD with the 'Target:' set to:

"D:\Program Files\IrfanView420\i_view32.exe" "D:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Desktop\Pictures\*.*" /convert="D:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Desktop\Input\*.png"
                • Create a Windows shortcut named BatchCMD with the 'Target:' set to:

"D:\Program Files\IrfanView420\i_view32.exe" "D:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Desktop\Input\*.*" /advancedbatch /convert="D:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Desktop\Output\*.jpg"

Everyday Work

1. When you are ready to begin working, double-click the shortcut RenameCMD, which will create files inside the Input folder.

2. After it is finished (no indication other than the hourglass disappearing), drag and drop the Input folder onto your main IrfanView shortcut (create if you haven't). Find the first file you want in IV, crop it, and press Ctrl+S to save. Edit all the others the same way. You don't need to run RenameCMD again.

3. When you are finished, double-click the BatchCMD shortcut, and all the files in the Input folder will be converted with the options you specify and be placed into the Output folder. Now use these sorted images as you'd like.

4. At your discretion, empty the Input Folder and/or the Pictures folder when you need to begin again.

What it does:

By placing the files in Pictures, RenameCMD can run silently, placing a lossless copy of your files in the Input folder. After cropping, you can quickly overwrite these files by doing a save command, without losing quality or time, renaming. Then when your done cropping all the pictures, the BatchCMD does the silent quick conversion your after, in one double-click! All your finished files are sorted to the Output folder, ready for use.

And if you didn't like the conversion for some reason, you can do it again, because the quality cropped pictures are still in Input. Just change the batch or save settings; the shortcut will still work. If you don't need the high-quality copies, or the originals anymore, delete them.

Notes on use:

-Specify any particular settings beforehand.

-You can change most of this to suit your configuration. Change the locations, names, file types, etc. However, you have to update the shortcuts. I'd recommend the desktop or a project folder for the folders and shortcuts. Read the help file.

-At your own risk, turn off the options Display 'Save'-Dialog for 'File->Save' and Ask to overwrite file for 'Save' and 'Save As' in Properties>Misc. 1 to resave your image and suppress the warning message for quicker saving.

-The best part is since these are Windows shortcuts you can assign them a shortcut key! So this may be exactly what you want!!!
                Last edited by Skippybox; 26.08.2008, 01:21 AM.

Comment

Gee that sounds complicated. Am I missing something? Why don't you just Save As in a lossless format after you have cropped? You only need to select the format and the folder you want to use the first time. After that the Save As dialog will open with usable entries each time. Just press S, Enter. When you have finished, do your Batch conversion on all the cropped files together and turn them back into Jpegs.

Comment

Originally posted by Mij View Post
                    Gee that sounds complicated. Am I missing something? Why don't you just Save As in a lossless format after you have cropped? You only need to select the format and the folder you want to use the first time. After that the Save As dialog will open with usable entries each time. Just press S, Enter. When you have finished, do your Batch conversion on all the cropped files together and turn them back into Jpegs.
                    Yes, that is a certainly acceptable, too. But, I looked at this from the perspective that andreas2 wanted something where you wouldn't have to stop and make a decision at some point. While my workaround certainly is more complicated, that is the price for automation. Remember, andreas2 really wanted just one key for the whole shebang. So, I simply tried to cut down the unnecessary decision points.

The initial setup only has to be performed once. Everyday, andreas2 can just work without reading unnecessary dialogs. All andreas2 has to do is find the files (possibly optional), hit a couple keys to rename, crop, save, and convert/rename. Very quick indeed. Also, andreas2 didn't even want to see the batch dialog. How do you suggest that be done? Mine provides the shortcut for that, too.

Comment

Save As

Originally posted by Mij View Post
                      Why don't you just Save As in a lossless format after you have cropped? You only need to select the format and the folder you want to use the first time. After that the Save As dialog will open with usable entries each time. Just press S, Enter.
                      Originally posted by andreas2 View Post
                      And no to crop and save under a new file name manually and then run the batch conversion the "normal way" in order to resample, color adjust and save under a third file name is far more complicated and even more so though I usually process only a couple of pictures at a time before publishing and publish several times a day.)
                      One other inherent weakness in your approach, is that it assumes that andreas2 won't get sidetracked during the cropping process with another IV task, thus changing the last used folder in Save As. The same would be true trying to do more pictures during the day and all future days of work.

My solution assumes this possibility and utilizes Save instead, so the folder and filename are always "ready". This is really helpful if the folder(s) the project is in, is hard to navigate to and saves a lot of time. Although, there are solutions for that as well.

Besides, depending on how my approach is configured to andreas2's needs, theoretically it could all be done from as little as one folder.

Comment

Working...
                      X