I'd like 3 improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested I'd like 3 improvements

1. In thumbnail mode (T), I'd like Irfanview to use the embedded thumbnail if available (most cameras place those in the EXIF header)

2. In the flash player, an option to mute the sound (volume control would be even better)

3. A smarter autoincrement logic for the save dialog: Irfanview keeps proposing Clipboard01, Clipboard02 even though files with those names are present in the target folder, and the last file I saved had the name Clipboard06

Thanks for considering.

I don't think there's really anything that much wrong with the increment logic, though it has annoyed me a few times (mostly because I just want to do my own naming and numbering). It would be just as much a pain if it carried over to another session that was entirely unrelated, with the images being saved in a different folder. On the other hand, if you have a default save location, it would make sense to continue rather than start new. *shrug*
    Its: Belongs to "It"
    It's: Shortened form of "It is"
    ---------------------
    Lose: Fail to keep
    Loose: Not tight

---------------------
    Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Request 3 makes me wonder what you're doing that makes you ask for this.

If you're saving a lot of screen grabs you can save them directly to a file with the shortcut key. If you need to crop them or work on them first, you might find FastStone Capture much better for this task.
      Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

No dedicated capture program I've reviewed is worth the trouble of installing.

I am indeed using Irfanview to crop and compress screenshots, usually prior to renaming and uploading them. My problem arrises when, after saving a bunch of Clipboard0X images, I accidentally leave Irfanview. The counter would restart from 01.

I see no sense for Irfanview to propose overwriting existing files.

Comment

Another Suggestion for Increment Handling

Similar situations have cropped up in utilities I've written for my own use. My solution was to first check the target folder for files named using my autoname pattern. Then start the sequence with the next highest number (1 if there aren't any existing file).

A slightly simpler algorithm is to use the first increment not already in use. I don't like this because I usually want the new files to sort after the older ones ... and if the new file fills a "hole" in the sequence it can be hard to find.

It's possible that prescan like this could introduce unacceptable delays if the target folder has many files but I've not found it to be a problem.

Obviously no autonaming function is going to make everyone happy all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by dante2 View Post
            You don't need to install FastStone Capture.

Comment

Try TPUcapture. This has a file sequencing feature, plus, an autoupload of the capture to a free webhosting service. All automatic. NICE

This is our own, free, screenshot software which can save files as JPG, GIF or PNG upload images directly to TechPowerUp Free Image Hosting, wit

Comment

All automatic ? yeghh..
                Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_Zen View Post
                  All automatic ? yeghh..
                  Sarcastic moderator, too lazy to check out the recommended tool, even though link was provided?

yeghh..

Nice way to welcome new members. :slap: <<shame that doenst work! LOL
                  Last edited by lemonadesoda; 19.11.2008, 07:40 PM.

Comment

Lazy ? No. Just unwilling.
                    Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

3. A smarter autoincrement logic for the save dialog: Irfanview keeps proposing Clipboard01, Clipboard02 even though files with those names are present in the target folder, and the last file I saved had the name Clipboard06
                      The best solution for this would be to use date/time just like the autosave screen capture function. Like 'Clipboard_YYYY-MM-DD_hh-mm-ss' ex: 'Clipboard_2008-11-19_23-54-10'

Comment

Working...
                      X