option to keep info/EXIF/IPTC dialog open while browsing images

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Mij,

I'll try, but the Info dialog does not behave like the EXIF dialog. I said it behaves like a window. The EXIF dialog is not modal, since I can switch between viewer, thumbs, or EXIF with the mouse. I can also Tab between the viewer and thumbs, just not back to EXIF. EXIF does remain on top of the viewer because it is linked to it and not thumbs. Therefore, thumbs can be brought to the top. You cannot call EXIF from thumbs. Additionally, the EXIF data tries to follow the image in the viewer.

It makes sense that some operations are separate and can coexist because the viewer and thumbs do act independent. They have separate windows, appear as separate tasks, but are also quite dependent on each other, since it is all one program. So a dialog like Info should be attached to the window that called it, and not tie up the other.

So, why the differences between dialogs?

If you use keyboard key I to open Info though, Thumbnails remains on top along with the Info box and the Info box is no longer modal.
    Why not modal? You can't do anything in thumbs now with Info open.

I am not familiar with ALT+Shift.
    Last edited by Skippybox; 21.01.2009, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Poweruser View Post
      Can anybody resize the Exif window?

I can keep it open but I can not use it to compare Exif values that are at the bottom of the Exif window: The Exif window is not resizable. I have to scroll down to see the value. When jumping to the next image, Exif window automatically scrolls to top. Bummer.
      It is not actually a window.

You can toggle EXIF info overlay text in full screen or slideshow using the N key. Set it up in Options>Properties/Settings>Full screen.

Comment

Originally posted by Skippybox View Post
        Hi Mij,
        Additionally, the EXIF data tries to follow the image in the viewer.
        Except when you change the image by double clicking a thumbnail.

The main purpose of my post was to point out how careful you must be when talking about these windows. Sometimes the way you open them, whether by keyboard or mouse, does give a different result. In this example the Info box can be attached to thumbnails and freeze the operation of that window instead of the Viewer window that it is presumably intended to do.
        We get reports of EXIF windows that cannot be closed and still have no idea how that happens.
        So, why the differences between dialogs?
        Why indeed? There is no obvious reason why the Info window should freeze the Viewer window and prevent you from changing the current image, for instance. It would be just as valuable to leave that dialog open and updating as the EXIF one.
        Why not modal? You can't do anything in thumbs now with Info open.
        I am not familiar with ALT+Shift.
        Sorry, being a bit careless there. Yes it is still modal - just applied to a different window, and I meant to say Alt+Tab not Alt+Shift. (I had just been using Alt+Shift trying to discover what sort of windows we were looking at.)

Comment

Originally posted by Mij
          Except when you change the image by double clicking a thumbnail.
          Must be a very fine line between the independence/dependence of these two windows (Viewer and Thumbs).

Move on a few images. Keyboard key I does not now work, but menu or toolbar will bring up another Info box. Bring Thumbnails back on top. Drag the info box to one side. You now see two Info boxes. The one attached to thumbs still shows info of the earlier image whereas the new one is of the current image.
          Yes, this is interesting. I noticed that if I have Info open in the viewer, then key I in thumbs moved among any files beginning with "I". Otherwise, it would have called up Info, had Info not been open in the viewer. This does have implications. The order of actions becomes important, since key I is the only way to bring Info up in thumbs; there is no redundant control to turn to like in the viewer.

The main purpose of my post was to point out how careful you must be when talking about these windows. Sometimes the way you open them, whether by keyboard or mouse, does give a different result.
          I did find it very insightful.

Why indeed? There is no obvious reason why the Info window should freeze the Viewer window and prevent you from changing the current image, for instance. It would be just as valuable to leave that dialog open and updating as the EXIF one.
          You are right.

Sorry, being a bit careless there. Yes it is still modal - just applied to a different window, and I meant to say Alt+Tab not Alt+Shift. (I had just been using Alt+Shift trying to discover what sort of windows we were looking at.)
          I guess we'd better both be careful!

How do you use Alt+Shift?

Comment

Originally posted by Skippybox View Post
            How do you use Alt+Shift?
            Oh dear. I must turn my Spam warning on again (Stop Posting After Midnight). I meant Alt+Space of course.

Comment

Hee-hee.

You'd better get some Z's now, it is after 8.

Comment

Working...
              X