X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Context Menu in Fullscreen Mode

Hello,

irfanview is without any doubt one of the finest image viewers around.

That having said I cannot believe that it still has one of the stupid-most mouse interfaces I have ever seen.

Meanwhile there is an option to have the absolutely essential context menu pop up on right mouse button. Lets call that progress.

But it still doesn't work in fullscreen mode!

Please, fix that ASAP!

I know, I have seen complaints about this as early as 2 years ago. This is most definitely a BUG and it is still alive. I am not alone in considering this to be extremely annoying and an absolute deal-breaker.

I know full well, there are feature requests to customize the mouse interface. And I would happily agree but this seems far away and, for reasons that would seem hard to follow, even controversial.

So for now just fix that bug. There is absolutely no need or arguable reason, that in full-screen mode mouse-wheel, left and right mouse button, cursor keys and PgUp/PgDn keys do all the same thing, that is transport back and forth through the image_list, when at the same time the context_menu is inaccessible, regardless of the option setting. And no, I do not wish/intend to switch to windowed_mode for that.

greetings
    algol
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 06.08.2009, 05:13 AM. Reason: Shouting and swearing removed

Please read the guidelines before posting.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
      Please read the guidelines before posting.
      Ok, sorry, OS (WinXP_sp3) and IV4.25 have now been declared.

Yet, I have to protest against moving my post to feature requests.

I have reported a severe bug, that, regardless of the appropriate option set to "context menu" for the right mouse button, this feature does not work in full_screen_mode.

And this severe bug persists since 2 years minimum as I remember complaints referring to exactly that bug from then.

It is precisely that habit of trivializing this bug as a mere request for additional features, one among thousands, that must be seen as the only reasonable culprit for this bug still being around after such a long time.

Nota_bene, I could think of a dozen new features that would be nice to have, too, as can countless other users.

All I want for now is a built_in option of long ago (having context menu pop up on right mouse click) to finally work - also and in particular in full_screen mode, as in windowed mode I would have access to the menu anyway.

So I dare to request to move my post back to bug-reports and to consider it as such and acknowledge the blunder currently implemented with regard to right mouse button / full_screen_mode at long last.

greetings
      algol
      Last edited by algol; 06.08.2009, 02:18 PM.

Comment

I agree this item is a missing feature when compared to practically any other viewer, but that doesn't make it a bug. The program author never meant for a context menu to appear in full screen mode. It is quite clear that the context menu option does not appear on the full screen tab of options and therefore does not apply to that mode, only window mode. Therefore, it is a feature request, despite how small it may seem.

Unless it comes to Irfan's attention, he does not know of its importance. But, it does not help to make demands here, especially for what is essentially free software.

In actuality, the context menu is not particularly useful in fullscreen since several commands cannot be used there anyhow, and for the rest you can simply memorize the hotkeys.

Comment

Originally posted by Skippybox View Post
          In actuality, the context menu is not particularly useful in fullscreen since several commands cannot be used there anyhow, and for the rest you can simply memorize the hotkeys.
          Agreed here too. I've never missed that context menu, viewing with IrfanView, which is one of the few programs without such a menu and I love that. Like TotalCommander IrfanView doesn't need a mouse to operate as long as your files are associated with IrfanView and you be acquainted with the shortkeys. An Enter in TotalCMD on an associated file is enough and you can leave your mouse to rest (anti-RSI). Also IrfanView is one the very few programs that immediate vanishes on ESC. Great! Please take IrfanView as it comes and be happy about what you've got: a stubborn, obstinate, but FAST little viewer with remarkable strong features

Comment

Originally posted by algol View Post
            Yet, I have to protest against moving my post to feature requests.

I have reported a severe bug, that, regardless of the appropriate option set to "context menu" for the right mouse button, this feature does not work in full_screen_mode.
            As pointed out by others already, it is not a bug that the context menu does not appear in fullscreen mode, since it was never intended to appear. There is page of fullscreen options in Properties, Fullscreen/Slideshow, and Use context menu is not listed as an option there.

As for this being a severe bug — get a grip. A severe bug would be if the program crashed, or if files were corrupted. The program not behaving as you want or expect is not a bug at all, but a feature request.
            Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
              The program not behaving as you want or expect is not a bug at all, but a feature request.
              Thank you, gentlemen, for your attention.

The tenor here seems to be that nothing has to be fixed because it ain't broke.

And don't get me wrong here, I am an ardent advocate of efficient keyboard operation, too. But for a nice slide-show even I tend to lean back from time to time and control it via mouse, in other words, I don't make a religious attitude out of not using the latter.

So if you are telling me in earnest that it constitutes an intentional feature, when in full-screen-mode practically any conceivable navigational key or button, from cursor-controls, PgUp/Dn to mouse, does the exact same thing, that is moving back or forth, then any further discussion is futile.

Have fun with IrfanView though, thank God there are excellent alternatives. Perhaps I'll check back in another 2 years as the program really has got potential. But judging from your answers, what I call blunder isn't going to change anytime soon.

At least I have found a new and more thorough understanding here, what the old joke must be really about, where an especially "savvy user" of computers is, after studying a manual, desperately looking for pressing the "Any-Key"!

Perhaps he should have a look at IrfanView_fsm. Chances are he might succeed there at long last.

greetings
              algol
              Last edited by algol; 07.08.2009, 02:46 AM.

Comment

I'd recomment Photoshop Elements as an alternative...
                See you in 2011.

Comment

Ah, thats one unhappy guy...! The answers given are all genuine - a bug is a bug and a feature request is not to be confused with a bug...
                  Download IrfanView Help Manual from:
                  IrfanView Website - Here
                  Sam_Zen's Website - Here
                  Author's Website - Here

Comment

Try not to be confused about my reply, WellOiledPC. Life is to short to be unhappy about a post on a forum. Maybe it was a poor joke, I'm sorry. And if you want a bug to be a feature or vice versa, so be it. I don't mind.

Here's the Wikipedia definition: A software bug is the common term used to describe an error, flaw, mistake, failue or fault in a cumputer program...

Comment

Originally posted by Sjef View Post
                      Here's the Wikipedia definition: A software bug is the common term used to describe an error, flaw, mistake, failue (sic!) or fault in a cumputer (sic!) program...
                      My intention was - and still is - to not bother you any longer in this forum.

But if you insist on repeating objectively false claims, I hope you don't mind if I object.

Despite of what everyone here seems to think and in agreement with your own / Wikipedia's definition what I reported is by all means a bug and not a feature request.

1. I am not looking for a new feature to be implemented. It is already there. In the settings/viewing section there is a checkbox that says "Use right mouse button for context menu". It does not say "... in windowed mode".

2. In spite of checking this option, it does not work in full_screen_mode. This is a fact and has not been disputed so far.

3. It has been argued that this option was not meant to work in full_screen_mode as it does not appear in the section "Full screen / slideshow".

This is simply nonsense because many general options set elsewhere also apply in full_screen_mode. For example in the very same "Viewing"-section where the context-menu-checkbox can be found there is also an option "Apply gamma correction". And the value you enter there as a matter of course also applies to full_screen_mode.

Obviously you can't have it both ways. It is either a bug / flaw / failure or fault in Irfanview, that the gamma correction also applies to full_screen_mode although it does not appear in the "FS / slideshow"-tab or the bug / flaw / failure-definition by all means applies to the "context-menu"-checkbox not working in full_screen_mode.

4. Since half a dozen or more settings elsewhere apply in full_screen_mode as well, the only remaining conclusion is that what I have reported, an existing checkbox not working in full_screen_mode, is by your own definition a bug / flaw / failure and most certainly not a request for something new.

So also your ill-founded assumption, I might be joking, is proven wrong.

But you got one thing right. IV is a free program and I have no other authority but reason to make you all realize, it is a bug.

So if you still like to disagree in spite of having been proven wrong, so be it! "...those who have eyes but cannot see..".

greetings
                      algol
                      Last edited by algol; 16.08.2009, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Please use Shift»W (fit images to window) to view/edit your images in stead of Full screen. Maybe in time you'll understand the logics behind the way Irfan has divided his options.

After a periode of time maybe you don't use the Context menu any more, although you'll never may own up the fact that mouse scrolling in Full screen is a feature (in pigheaded IrfanView!).

And don't forget to inspect what the right mouse button does after you have made a selection (when right mouse button context is off in Windowed/View mode). See attachments.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Sjef View Post
                          Try not to be confused about my reply, WellOiledPC. Life is to short to be unhappy about a post on a forum. Maybe it was a poor joke, I'm sorry. And if you want a bug to be a feature or vice versa, so be it. I don't mind.

Here's the Wikipedia definition: A software bug is the common term used to describe an error, flaw, mistake, failue or fault in a cumputer program...
                          I was merely browsing through this thread, when I came across this post. And, I am saying exactly what you are saying - that a bug is a bug and that it should not be confused with a feature request!

I am unhappy for the guy - if his ego weren't so huge, he wouldn't have left in such a huff - what do I care otherwise???
                          Download IrfanView Help Manual from:
                          IrfanView Website - Here
                          Sam_Zen's Website - Here
                          Author's Website - Here

Comment

This thread has run its course. I am closing it before it degenerates any further.

Comment

Working...
                            X