X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi,

q & d what you can do:

Test the image (jpg) compression, when you find it´s good and optmized for the web, save the irfanview ini file (i_view32.ini).

Then download a zipped variant of IrfanView and compress it to a folder on your harddisk -> e.g. IrfanView Web.

Copy your saved ini file to that folder.

Whenever you want to upload your images to a webspace use that "small" installation of IrfanView.

-> Double installation of IrfanView, or you can use another windows account for that purpose (small ini changes are necessary).

That´s the way i would do that ...

steve

Comment

Originally posted by j_c_hallgren View Post
      ...a way to easily tune it within IV, without having to save the file, then switch to my file manager to check the size, and then load the two images into two windows and try and toggle between them to see the differences, which I consider quite inefficient, so that's why I most often resort to the overhead of using Photoshop to do this function.
      Well said!
      This is what I ment.
      I wasn´t looking for a one-click function. I just want to get rid of Photoshop for tasks like this.
      And IrfanView is one of my favorite softwares of all time.

Originally posted by Sam_Zen
      Even with a jpeg-optimizer plugin with realtime preview you will need a judgement and tuning case by case.
      You are right. That´s how I prefer to do things since it gives me the best control. I would giggle like a little schoolgirl if I was able to do this with the quick IV instead of the bloated PS.
      Last edited by 4eyes; 30.08.2007, 12:05 PM.

Comment

2 steve
        Nice workaround.
        I suppose you mean 'decompress it to a folder'.
        Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Preview of JPEG size before saving

Just wanted to cast a vote for adding the capability of previewing the size of a JPEG before saving at a particular quality. A visual preview would be icing on the cake, but simply adding the size display in the current 'JPEG/GIF Save Options' window, or even on 'Save Picture As...' dialog would prevent having to do several save iterations in order to get the file size within acceptable range. Thanks for listening. -Craig

Comment

I agree with craigch.
            A final filesize prediction can be quite essential for the choice of uploading (or archiving) a certain version.
            I usually neglect all kinds of 'wizards' in apps, but for this purpose, PSP has a nice one, showing preview and filesize.
            But if IV would show this data, I would be very pleased.
            Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Optimise...

Originally posted by 4eyes View Post
              I find it quite impossible to find an optimal jpeg compression level that can be used on all images.
              It dosen't exist such thing. For every image content are different compresion levels. Look closely to artefacts if you're intrested in quality. Save picture at different compresion levels and then chose the best that fits your intrest (size/quality).
              For JPEG files I use usualy 10% compresion for normal pictures, 5% compresion for quality ones and almost everytime .PNG format for hi-quality pictures (loseless compression). (Also PNG out plugin / PNG crush to optimise them too )

Originally posted by 4eyes View Post
              So a jpeg-optimizer plugin with realtime preview is no.1 on my IrfanView wishlist.
              You've already got an optimiser who makes a better job than recompress (and lose quality) a JPEG / save it with less quality. Use JPEG Loseless transformation plugin with those options:
              Transformation - None
              Optimize JPG file - checked
              JPG APP marker options - Clean all APP markers

Previewing the size and content of a JPEG needs to compress the image (and store it on HDD temporarly or not) every time you chose different compresion levels and it requires lot of processor.
              Last edited by Jaff; 29.11.2007, 11:32 AM. Reason: spelling
              Imi este indiferent ce cred ceilalti despre mine, caci oricum fiecare crede ce-i convine lui si nu ceea ce e real,
              doar ca mi-ar fi placut sa ma vada asa cum sint de fapt, nu asa cum poate le-ar placea lor sa creada. Ei au ales deja...

··÷¦÷·· ·· · · · ·· ··÷¦÷·· ·· · · · ·· ··÷¦÷·· ·· · · · ·· ··÷¦÷·· ·· · · · ·· ··÷¦÷··
              ·· · ·M· · ·I· · ·D· · ·I· · ·· ·· ·M· · ·A· · ·N· · ·I· · ·A· · ·C· · ·S· · ··
              ··÷¦÷·· ·· · · · ·· ··÷¦÷·· ·· · · · ·· ··÷¦÷·· ·· · · · ·· ··÷¦÷·· ·· · · · ·· ··÷¦÷··

Comment

Export Optimiser added to project list.

See also: Image Optimiser Plugin
                Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 23.04.2008, 05:44 PM.
                Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Realized with the RIOT plugin of Lucian Sabo in IrfanView V4.20!

Comment

Working...
                  X