Batch Rename - sort by 'date taken'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Batch Rename - sort by 'date taken'

I have been scanning some old slides and entering the date the photos were taken by consulting my diary. Due to scanning errors and human errors, sorting by name does not always produce the desired picture order, which in this case, was sorted by date taken.

In this instance, I was lucky to have the pictures 'almost' in correct order and was able to get the desired results, but it was a multi-step process. Being able to select the 'date taken' as the sort key would have been much more straightforward. Of course, not being a Windows internals guru, this might be very difficult to do, but I offer it as a suggestion/request anyway.

Already possible, I think.
    1. Open the Thumbnail View
    2. Thumbnail Options, Sort by Exif Date
    3. Select the thumbnails you want to include
    4. Start batch with selected thumbs

I don't have a camera, so none of my images have a date taken, but I was able to sort by file size. Normally, the batch dialogue Add all option just sorts by file name.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Thanks for the pointer to Thumbnail View. That does indeed seem to be the solution.

Comment

This seems to work, but it is not really obvious and not logical: the behaviour of Sort by date is different corresponding where you come from: if you come from File-Batch-Rename Sort order is by file date. But if you come from Thumbnails then sort order is by exif date.
        It would be better if there were explicit options "by image date" and "by file date"

Comment

Working...
        X