Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Add ability to set different background color for extensions supporting transparency

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Add ability to set different background color for extensions supporting transparency

I have several gifs files that don't look right with the black background. I do prefer black being the default. However how about adding a feature to set background color to something different for extensions that support transparency? Might be nice too if an extra drop-down menu appeared in the toolbar when these extensions are loaded to choose something else (just in case part of the image blends into the background color), this drop-down wouldn't override the default choice, just make other colors available.

Perhaps, somehow, IrfanView could check to see if transparency is in use?

Here's an example where black doesn't cut it:

How about supporting 32-bit transparency properly? One way or another, at the moment, you have to change the background colour to suit the image. Every transparent image, animated or not, has different colours.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
      How about supporting 32-bit transparency properly?
      Yeah, that would be good. I do have to ask, if proprerly supported, how would such images be displayed then? The black and gray checkerboard pattern that many image editors use? Or would IrfanView search the image for colors used and pick something not used?

Comment

I would expect to see a checkerboard pattern.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

The point you're making, Bhikkhu, sank in today. I loaded that image I linked to above in IV. I noticed that you can't tell, simply by looking, how wide it is. That happens because IV expands enough (width-wise) to show all of the toolbar (it would be horrible if it did not). I'd suggest though, that a best-case scenario would be implementing both proper transparency support and the ability to set the transparency color. I think you could see where the checkerboard might not be the best for all circumstances.

IMO, just adding the ability to change the background for certain extensions would be a decent interim solution.

I had yet another thought, again as an interim solution until transparency is properly supported:

How about adding an option to IV to set an "image background color"? It loads for all images, but is only visible for the transparent ones. Is that feasible? I guess, for lack of better words, drawing a colored box behind all images?
          Last edited by Steven W; 24.09.2010, 01:51 PM. Reason: Further thought

Comment

You can already set a different color as "Background for Cut" in the Browsing/Editing options. I would have thought that it was more sensible to use that for transparency as well rather than defining yet another color.

Comment

I never noticed that, despite being in the dialog box to change it many times. Yeah, I could see what I'm requesting and that being rolled into one.

Comment

Working...
              X