Shadows and Highlights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Shadows and Highlights

Frequently I'm accessing Lightroom only to fix the shadows in a photo.
    It would be nice to have a way to recover the detail in the shadows and correct the highlights as we can do in Lightroom
    Or a way to make histogram corrections like in Photoshop

G'MIC plugin (8bf), 32-bit version, works well with IrfanView, and can do almost anything to images. It starts much faster than the GIMP.
    Last edited by Jacal; 10.03.2021, 09:46 PM.
    IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

With the SmartCurve plug-in you can manipulate the histogram. I would prefer that the GUI was easier to access and operate though. The 8-bit depth limits how much you can practically stretch shadows before noticeable banding.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacal View Post
        G'MIC plugin (8bf), 32-bit version, works well with IrfanView, and can do almost anything to images. It starts much faster than the GIMP.
        Hi Jacal
        Thanks for your fast answer.
        I downloaded both versions of G'MIC-Qt plug-in for Photoshop / Affinity Photo / PaintShop Pro / PhotoLine (8bf): _x64 and _x86.
        I tried first the 64bit version copying the GmicPlugin.8bf file to the Irfan Adobe 8BF folder. The option for this plugin shows on the menu Image>Adobe 8BF PlugIns but doesn't work..
        Next I copied the 32bit 8BF file to the same folder but the Anti-Virus Kaspersky deleted it immediately saying it has adware

I have installed IrfanView 4.56

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by lmatias View Post
          I have installed IrfanView 4.56

Yes. You should uninstall Kaspersky anti-virus and install IrfanView 4.57 with its plugins. Anti-virus causes more trouble than it is worth. The built-in Windows Defender and Firewall are adequate protection for most users, and rarely cause issues.

Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by lmatias View Post

The 64-bit version of IrfanView can only use the 32-bit version of G’MIC-8bf.

"This is a filter plug-in for Adobe® Photoshop® and other compatible software that interacts with G’MIC-Qt.
            Both 64-bit and 32-bit plug-ins are provided on the gmic-8bf releases page.

The 64-bit plugin has been tested in Adobe Photoshop CC 2020.
            The 32-bit plugin has been tested in IrfanView and XnView.
            It should also work with other hosts. e.g. PhotoLine."*

G'MIC is a well known and reliable, open source tool, being a popular GIMP plugin for years. (wiki) It has it's own discussion thread on Pixls.us forum, where also the (very kind) developer, David Tschumperlé, is active and available.

False Positives are a common problem for small developers, non-commercial projects etc. The Windows "Defender" has blocked my downloads in the past, one of the recent G'MIC versions among others. It is a false alert.

Here are the VirusTotal results for the current GmicPlugin_x86.zip file. (Only) three of the engines are suspicious about the file. You can report the false positive to Kaspersky, they might respond, but it is annoying.

Have a nice day!
            Last edited by Jacal; 11.03.2021, 09:56 AM.
            IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

Originally posted by Jacal View Post
              False Positives are a common problem for small developers, non-commercial projects etc. The Windows "Defender" has blocked my downloads in the past, one of the recent G'MIC versions among others. It is a false alert.
              Indeed. Your post was falsely identified as spam by Akismet due to the large number of links! ?

Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Working...
              X