Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Request for thumbnails "drives to be scanned" option to reduce 1-2 minute load times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rejected Request for thumbnails "drives to be scanned" option to reduce 1-2 minute load times

Irfanview thumbnails will stall for 1-2 minutes on load if a Windows user has virtual drive(s) defined that are not attached. This is due to the application developer interface of Windows and will show up while an app calls for an attached drive scan and on or more drives are virtual drives that are not currently attached. This caused much frustration to the Irfan Thumbnails users and appears as if the Thumbnails app is locking up when it loads but in reality, it is just waiting for Windows to respond to it how many drives are attached. This is a fault of Windows but the only way it can be addressed without a re-write of Windows is for the application developer to come up with other options for users who have virtual drives that are disconnected from time to time..

To duplicate this error, frustration or shortcoming, lets assume that we are a Windows user and that we VPN into several accounts with SAMBA drives available for linking. On each VPN remote destination we will define a virtual drive letter to be accessed and remembered on our Windows system linking each SAMBA drive. If we have remote SAMBA drives defined as J:, K:, L:, M: etc, these drives only indicate attached when we log on to the respective remote SAMBA server. Now when we log into our various remote VPN servers, the shadow drive showing in our "My PC" drive list will show the virtual drives active for each particular SAMBA server that we log into. Log onto another account the other grayed-out drive becomes active. This works well. However, each time we invoke Irfanview Thumbnails. Irfanview stalls and times out trying to access each one of our virtual drives because the shadow drives previously defined on the various VPN attached servers show up to Irfanview software as legitimat, Tbut because of the way Windows operates, Irfanview Thumbnails just stalls out and the user must wait for 1-2 minutes every time Irfanview Thumbnails is launched.

This can be fixed not by asking Windows for another procedure call without the stall-out because we know that would never happen. However, if the developer would be kind enough to add a check box for scanning all drives vs. allowing users to specify the actual letters, this would allow optionally scanning the named drives we want scanned and with this new option, this issue would be resolved.
    CAN I BEG THE DEVELOPER to add this feature? THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Image Caching has often been requested, but has been rejected. If you contact Irfan Skiljan with your suggestion, let us know what he says, and I will update the thread's tag. See Help, About for his email. He does not visit this user forum.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Have you considered connecting your network drives only when they are actually available? Windows provides a "net use" command, which can be used in a batch script to automate the process.
      My system: IrfanView 4.62 64bit, Windows 10 22H2, Intel Core i5-3570, 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Comment

Working...
      X