JPEG 2000 thumbnails

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rejected JPEG 2000 thumbnails

Hello, I want JPEG 2000 thumbnails, because I am going to convert my entire library to JPEG 2000 and thumbnails aren't generating.

I have a feeling that your request will fall at the first hurdle because Windows Explorer does not show thumbnails for JP2 format images.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

See the last comment here https://github.com/files-community/Files/issues/10073
      Last edited by Patricek0056; 30.09.2022, 12:06 PM.

Comment

He said “Thumbnails need to be generated by the app the file is associated with. I recommend putting in a feature request with IrfanView or a similar app.”

Comment

I suggest sending an email to Irfan Skiljan to see what he says. It would probably need someone to update the plugin.
          See IrfanView Help, About for Irfan's email address. Let us know what he says.
          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

That's nonsense. Image viewers have nothing to do with thumbnails in Windows explorer or other file managers. How would this even work? Image viewerers have no idea what file manager are you using. Those are independent pieces of software. The file manager is responsible for generating and displaying thumbnails.
            My system: IrfanView 4.62 64bit, Windows 10 22H2, Intel Core i5-3570, 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Comment

Maybe this?

Beautiful and fast image viewer for photographers, and robust imaging components for Microsoft Windows.

not free

Comment

Seems like the thumbnail generation has become broken in the latest version. It works in 4.53 and 4.54. Notably, the thumbnails generate Fast because the file doesn't need to be completely decompressed. One of the few redeeming qualities of JPEG-2000. Most likely, the thumbnail generation calls some special function from the plugin to make this happen, unlike with other formats that decode completely.

The plugin has also increased in size from 200 to 600 kB. Maybe somebody reported a "security issue" and it got changed.
                Last edited by j7n; 02.10.2022, 01:30 AM.

Comment

Irfan Skiljan said in e-mail conversation: “Thumbnails in Windows Explorer can be shown by special programs (Shell-Extensions/Codecs), not by a normal program like IrfanView. You need a codec/shell-extensions for that.”

Comment

Thanks for letting us know. I updated the request to Rejected because is not something that Irfan Skiljan will do.

Comment

Working...
                    X