Measurement Tool / Option to have no popup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Measurement Tool / Option to have no popup

Title says it all! I couldn't spot an option for this. Irfanview is my default viewer and I use the measurement tool a lot on my photos (of plants), but since my photos always have a ruler in the shot, I make a line measurement in one place in the picture (noting the line pixel size in the status bar) and then draw a measurement line on the ruler of the same pixel length (using the status bar) and so read the actual size from the ruler. There are other case scenarios where you just want to compare two items in different parts of the photo and so do similarly (someone might send you a picture with a coin or thumb for measurement, so you want to compare the coin to other things in the picture). In all cases the popup is an annoyance if you are doing lots of times! It would be good to have some option somewhere to disable it Obviously it could include it on the popup too to disable it.
    Perhaps the ideal way to do such relative measurements is with a circle you draw on one thing (you want to measure) and then shift the circle over another (for the comparison, and if it's a ruler in the picture, to read the size), although Irfanview doesn't have moveable circle for that, so the measurement lines, using the status bar, are the next best thing.
    Cheers! David

Why not just make a selection and note its dimensions in the title bar?

Selections can be moved to compare the sizes of different objects in the picture.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

The lines along the item being measured (think of a leaf somewhere on the plant) and also the ruler can be at any angle so a rectangle only works in cases where the measurement lines of interest happen to run in exactly the same direction; generally a circle is needed... .

Comment

The Foxit PDF viewer has a nice little tool for measuring distances, perimeters and areas with configurable scales. This is probably because a lot of people tend to store plans, maps, etc. in PDF format.

You might have more of a struggle justifying such a feature in a product like this.

Comment

Working...
        X