mod to copy/move file

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested mod to copy/move file

Would it be possible to "save" sets of destinations?

There are up to 14 destination folders in the Move or Copy dialogue. These would be saved in your i_view32.ini file. If you want different sets of folders for different jobs, then copy that file to a convenient location and copy it back again to restore the settings.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Yes but

That's hardly efficient... It's the functionality of being able to switch contexts easily I'm suggesting would be a good feature.

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
      There are up to 14 destination folders in the Move or Copy dialogue. These would be saved in your i_view32.ini file. If you want different sets of folders for different jobs, then copy that file to a convenient location and copy it back again to restore the settings.

Comment

Some time ago I wrote a Visual basic script that allowed you to change entries in the i_view32.ini file while Irfanview was running. It is posted on the forum here. It could be used for swapping sets of Move and Copy destinations in and out of the ini file. Read post 3 in the thread too for how to run it using shortcuts.

Comment

I'll look for it, but...

I've always had the notion that a .ini file is read once when a program loads. So one has to exit, swap contexts and reload. Hmm, is the .ini file specified in a command line option (which would be the unix way of doing it) - then just create different shortcuts... Still not optimal but less clumsy.

Originally posted by Mij View Post
          Some time ago I wrote a Visual basic script that allowed you to change entries in the i_view32.ini file while Irfanview was running. It is posted on the forum here. It could be used for swapping sets of Move and Copy destinations in and out of the ini file. Read post 3 in the thread too for how to run it using shortcuts.

Comment

Obviously how the program opens and what it initially displays have to be read from the ini file when the program opens, so some of the file blocks must be read at that time. Other blocks appear to be read whenever a feature or dialog is opened and are saved again when they are closed, so you can modify the ini files in between uses.

There appears to be no problem in editing the Copy-Move block while IV is open. Try it. You can have the ini file open in Notepad at the same time and edit AskCopy, CopyDir, CopyDir1 entries and the like, then just resave the ini file. You do not even need to close the Notepad window. When you press F8 in the IV window again to Copy a file you will see that what you just saved in Notepad is where it is copied to and whether the default location is used or the dialog opened to make a choice.

The script I referred to was originally written to modify items in the ini file for batch operations so the /advancedbatch option was being called between each change. That option opens Irfanview without display, carries out the sequence of operations from the Batch block of the ini file on a single file, saves it and then closes IV. When the silently running program reads the ini file was not an issue there.

There is a "/ini= Folder" option for the Command line that you can use when you open Irfanview that way. It replaces the whole ini file with another one so you need to prepare multiple versions of the ini file and put them all into different folders (they must all be named i_view32.ini - you only specify which folder to find them in). I have never investigated whether a displayed copy of IV then inherits that ini file while the Command line instance is running although I suspect not.

Comment

Working...
            X