Add support for HDR, 10/12bit, alpha transparency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Add support for HDR, 10/12bit, alpha transparency

I'm quite disappointed that the development of IrfanView in terms of satisfying user needs in 2023 has all but ceased.

IrfanView does not support:
    • HDR images
    • 10/12/16 bit per channel images and images using non-RGB encoding such as YUV
    • Alpha transparent images
    Even if you open the said images, they will be converted to 8bit per channel [representation].

If you convert or save these images, all these features will be lost. Data will be lost.

Please upgrade IrfanView to incorporate all these features. The program is stuck in the late 90s in terms of supporting image data. This is a little bit sad to see.

Lastly, I'm quite miffed that even though IrfanView now has a JPEG-XL (JXL) plugin, you cannot use it to losslessly compress JPEGs.
    Last edited by insectinegate; 03.07.2023, 11:44 AM.

IrfanView is a one-person project by Irfan Skiljan. As far as known he does not read this forum.
    If you want to contact him, see Help -> About IrfanView... for his E-Mail address.
    Last edited by Kuki Dent; 30.05.2023, 05:22 PM.
    Win 10/64 Home 22H2 IrfanView 4.67/64
    Hate has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet. (Maya Angelou)

Comment

I would like to see support for more color depth. I guess passing through additional bits wouldn't be too difficult. Perhaps all effects that can't be upgraded to handle higher bit depths could be disabled just like it was in Photoshop 7.0 where you could only do basic operations in Mode > 16-bit.

Transcoding between varieties of JPEG formats belongs in a special tool, for example, in Lossless JPEG Operations. A normal open>save should not handle this case because you always save from uncompressed format after at least some minimal editing.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuki Dent View Post
        IrfanView is a one-person project by Irfan Skiljan. As far as known he does not read this forum.
        If you want to contact him, see Help -> About IrfanView... for his E-Mail address.
        That's weird as these forums are linked from the main website. OK, I'll email him.

Comment

Originally posted by insectinegate View Post
          That's weird as these forums are linked from the main website. OK, I'll email him.
          Not at all. Irfan Skiljan is the sole developer, there are millions of users.
          He could not possibly provide support to all of them. Often, someone here can answer to save time for users and Irfan Skiljan.
          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Working...
          X