Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I believe it should be possible to embed one language into the actual .EXE file, and while I am biased to toward it being English (the predominant language in computers, I believe) it could be whatever language the developer is comfortable with. (I, at times, actually do use IrfanView from only the solitary "i_view32.exe" file - no installs at all. Having English there allows me to continue to do so, easily.)

Then, via programming 'magic,' if another language is selected as the language of choice, the presence of the INI (if so used) would substitute the embedded English stings with the translations.

I believe that is how that company, I worked for, did it.

Again, we are all just talking here.
    I would not consider languages a luxury, since IrfanView is touted to be an international tool.
    Last edited by ChuckE; 07.09.2007, 08:11 PM.
    I wish to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.
    Not like those passengers, in his car, when he drove over that cliff.

Comment

Originally posted by steve View Post
      Hi,

another request: You can undo only one element (line, arrow etc.). Could there be more steps to be undone ?

steve
      The undo function is actually based on IV's undo function, so it's limited just to one operation. Anyway you can undo more than one operation using the "advanced eraser" (select the normal eraser and erase with the right mouse button).

Originally posted by ChuckE View Post
      [...]
      Hey, it's just a thought. It would never to be done, unless Irfan decides that as a way to change it.
      I really like the INI file translations method for the same reasons you said; I thought a bit and saw that I have not to make big efforts to make IP work with INI-based translations (I just need to create some kind of new LoadString function that actually calls GetPrivateProfileString). However, the problem is that IP is just a plug-in and I think it should not fill the folders of its files.
      IrfanPaint developer
      The latest stable IrfanPaint version is the 0.4.13.70.
      IrfanPaint is now open-source (released under BSD license).

Comment

Hi,

good news from Irfan (mail arrived today):

Next IrfanView version will be 4.02 and it should be released this month.
        New color- management will be added (jpg/tiff icc profiles) and there will be brand new plugins

steve

Comment

To Sam:
          That's exactly the only thing you have to do after starting another IV (older version, second version, etc.). Opening the Extension dialog and hitting OK. To be remembered I use different background colors in my IV's. I have an IV ‘clean’, an IV with standard plugins, an IV with only the IP plugin, etc. That's to rule out any doubt about interactivity with ‘strange’ data when trying things out.
          Last edited by Sjef; 07.09.2007, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sjef View Post
            To Sam:
            That's exactly the only thing you have to do after starting another IV (older version, second version, etc.). Opening the Extension dialog and hitting OK. To be remembered I use different background colors in my IV's. I have an IV ‘clean’, an IV with standard plugins, an IV with only the IP plugin, etc. That's to rule out any doubt about interactivity with ‘strange’ data when trying things out.
            Hi,

why don´t you use the zipped variant for testing purposes

Comment

I withdraw my harsh remark about language being a 'luxury'. Of course, the more multi-lingual, the better.
              I was just afraid that this discussion would go aside from the main issue : improving the functionality.
              But now I guess the development of IP has passed this stage of basic priorities, because there's a solid set of fine tools.
              So then other elements will introduce themselves to make things complete. Languages, esthetics, etc.

Originally posted by MItaly
              However, the problem is that IP is just a plug-in and I think it should not fill the folders of its files.
              What do you mean by "should not fill the folders of its files" ?
              Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_Zen View Post
                What do you mean by "should not fill the folders of its files" ?
                I mean that the plugin folder must contain the plugin .dll files, not also the IP's language files (that can be many). Anyway we could put them in the Languages folder: it should contain only IV's language .DLLs, but putting there the IP's language files could be simpler for the user, which would have just to decompress the language pack (e.g. Italian.zip => Italian.dll, IP_Italian.lng) in that folder.
                IrfanPaint developer

Comment

Originally posted by MItaly View Post
                  I mean that the plugin folder must contain the plugin .dll files, not also the IP's language files (that can be many). Anyway we could put them in the Languages folder: it should contain only IV's language .DLLs, but putting there the IP's language files could be simpler for the user, which would have just to decompress the language pack (e.g. Italian.zip => Italian.dll, IP_Italian.lng) in that folder.
                  Hi,

Comment

Thank you!
                    IrfanPaint developer

Comment

A bit late but, Happy Birthday indeed !

Now I agree with you about the position of language files. If there's already a subdir 'Languages' .., well.
                      So not only simpler for the user, but also more logical for the advanced eye.
                      Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Oh my, did I miss someone's birthday? Oh dear!
                        Belatedly:
                        Its: Belongs to "It"
                        It's: Shortened form of "It is"
                        ---------------------
                        Lose: Fail to keep
                        Loose: Not tight

---------------------
                        Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Oh! For a second I thought all of you'll werwe wishing me!

Same Pinch MItaly ... yeah, and happy birthday to you as well

Cheers!

Comment

Hi Sam,
                            You wrote about consequences of your file associations, starting an other version of IV. Just start your ‘standard’ IV, check Extensions and click on OK. Your previous associations will be back.

Comment

Thanks for your concern. I have all associations back of course. As a matter of fact, I don't mind so much being forced to re-select the list, as long as it's an occasional incident. It can be a good moment to re-consider the associations being made, due to changed software circumstances in the mean time.
                              Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

See, that's the spirit! Taking advance of little program drawbacks or lacks.

Comment

Working...
                                X