Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmm, I'm afraid there are already too much threads with requests about point-to-point selection to refer to.

And I don't see why IrfanView should be 'better' than PSP. They are two different tools, with different operations.
    Why trying to turn a personal car into a diesel truck?
    Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

highlighting

Dear Irfan

Another improvement of Irfanview. Proficiat! Proficiat! Proficiat!

A small suggestion.

Highlighting

How it was before? (w/o PC)
      Take a document or xercopy with text and to read only the important parts you take a marker (or highlight) pen and you highlithed the desired text.

How it is today?
      If you have a document printed with an inktjet-printer or you have made a copy with a modern all-in-one scanner/(inktjet-)printer and take you marker pen, in most cases your text will have disappeared after marking, because the ink will be dissolved by the solvent of the marker.

Furtermore, I have changed my habit of documenting. I use now a good digital camera (5 Mb pixels at least) to copy a document (much faster as a scanner!) and process the copy with Irfanview. To keep the document size within acceptable limits, black/white originals are scaled down to 2 color (b/w) pictures. This is done stepwise: Gray -> 16 colors -> 2 colors -> saving as .GIF or .TIF.
      The conversion to 2 colors gives not always the desired result, especially if there are pictures in the original. And you have to stop at 256 or 16 colors and save in an acceptable format.

Highlighting I do with an old version of Photopaint (Coreldraw) by changing the background, what is rather complicated, but far more easier as with Photoshop, but "reading" a >100 page document is not realy user-friendly. There fore I prefer Irfanview.

Wish:
      With the new version 4.10 there are some simple "Paint" tools added, eg rectangular tool. You can draw the rectangle or, if you have marked the fill box, a solid rectangle of the desired colour. A tool between this 2 possibilities would be very handsome. Supposing that you have the text in B/W (black characters on white background) the HIGH tool should not replace the original pixels for pixels of the desired color, as with FILL, but should AND both pixels. The result is that the black characters get a colored background (0ANDx -> 0 = black, 255ANDx -> x = desired color). Suppose that the white (= 255) is polluted, the final color still will contrast with the original color.
      From the point of programming this does not seem a very difficult problem, mayby only 1 rule more in the old routine:
      var =: newcolor
      will be:
      var =: oldcolor
      var =: var AND newcolor

and of course another box and flag in the F12 menu.

Just a simple hint to make life more comfortable..

Regards
      basbaster

PS for this you will need a picture of at least 16 colors, except if you used dithered gray as "color".

Comment

This has already been requested, and may happen some time.

Meanwhile, this method works just fine.
        • Select the area you wish to highlight and press Shift G to enhance the colours.
        • Click on "Set Default Values" (the bug is known about already).
        • Reduce the Blue value to highlight the selected text in yellow.

You can also use Irfan Paint if you adjust the brush settings to use a transparent hash style. The blue area was painted with IrfanPaint, the yellow highlight was done with Enhance Colours on the selected area.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 19.12.2007, 04:43 PM.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

2 basteria

An interesting idea to use boolean functions in color modifications.

As far as the color depth is concerned, you could also experiment in some cases with the 'Custom' mode, for example 4 colors.
          I use this quite often with scanned documents, because, as you say, sometimes straight to 2 colors is too rude for the picture.
          It's still a 4BPP palette, but it can be used as a transition stage.
          Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

IrfanPaint b0.4.7.50 released

The new IrfanPaint beta release includes the following changes:
            • replaced a lot of nasty code (almost all the tools UI code) with new object-oriented code; this makes the dll bigger (200 KiB non UPXed) but the plug-in now is a lot simpler to maintain and expand;
            • new error-handling code;
            • changed the behavior of the clone tool (see the exhaustive tooltip of the clone tool);
            • fixed single-pixel drawing with nonround endcap bug (more info).

Since the new release changes are mainly in the code and not in the features I'd ask you to check if everything works as it worked in the previous versions; thank you!
            Last edited by MItaly; 03.01.2008, 03:22 PM.
            IrfanPaint developer
            The latest stable IrfanPaint version is the 0.4.13.70.
            IrfanPaint is now open-source (released under BSD license).

Comment

The mouse-only use of the clone tool is an improvement.
              However, undo seems to be broken.

For the clone tool, paint tool, eraser, it works once only. For other tools, line, rectangle, ellipse, rotate, it seems to be working as usual.
              Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 03.01.2008, 03:46 PM.
              Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
                The mouse-only use of the clone tool is an improvement.
                Thank you.
                However, undo seems to be broken.
                For the paint tool etc., it works once only.
                OMG, I completely forgot it! I'll fix it in the next beta.
                IrfanPaint developer

Comment

Hmmm... did you change the download page code? I don't remember having to fight off repeating downloads before. I'm using K-Meleon web browser with Star Downloader plugin, a comfortable old habit. Anyhoo, the page kept sort of refreshing and starting more downloads until I backed out. I've had that happen with other sites. Why I never click a link and turn my back on it! LOL
                  Its: Belongs to "It"
                  It's: Shortened form of "It is"
                  ---------------------
                  Lose: Fail to keep
                  Loose: Not tight

---------------------
                  Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

The download page is fine in Opera 9.25.

I attach the file here.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Nice! That sticky toolbar... It stays on the right- of left side even when up or down scaling the IrfanView window. Or didn't I pointed out that option in older versions of IrfanPaint?

Comment

Originally posted by matera View Post
                        Hmmm... did you change the download page code? I don't remember having to fight off repeating downloads before.
                        The only thing I changed in the download page is the Firefox banner (added yesterday).
                        Originally posted by Sjef View Post
                        Nice! That sticky toolbar... It stays on the right- of left side even when up or down scaling the IrfanView window. Or didn't I pointed out that option in older versions of IrfanPaint?
                        It's relatively new, I added it in the previous beta (the b0.4.6.49 released on 08/12/2007).
                        IrfanPaint developer

Comment

My bad memory, I suppose. I probably did something right-clickish before.

I love the stickiness, BTW.
                          Its: Belongs to "It"
                          It's: Shortened form of "It is"
                          ---------------------
                          Lose: Fail to keep
                          Loose: Not tight

---------------------
                          Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Sorry, can't find any stickiness so far.
                            Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

That's surprising, because the toolbar should be stuck to the window in its default position when you press F12. Just resize the window to see if the toolbar moves with it.

Comment

Hi Matteo,

great work

I like the sticky toolbar

Greetings,

steve

Comment

Working...
                                X