X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Issue viewing WEBP files?

?Good morning all,

I’m trying to view WEBP files with my version 4.62 / 64-Bit but I keep getting the error attached. Can anyone tell me what I need to do, as I’ve downloaded and installed literally every plug in I can find.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	2572
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	97048 ?

I have WEBP extensions enabled in the Plugins section too.

Many thanks in advance.

Marty
    ?
    Last edited by Fhrx; 23.01.2023, 10:46 PM.

Your attachment is missing. Try cropping it.
    What does the warning dialog say?
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Please make sure you are using the exact same version of the plugins package as the IrfanView version.
      My system: IrfanView 4.62 64bit, Windows 10 22H2, Intel Core i5-3570, 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Comment

I have the same problem, but a slightly different error message. I have checked and my irfanview and plugin versions are the same - 4.6.2 64 bit. I downloaded and installed both (viewer and dll) from the website as is.

Name:	image_6610.png
Views:	2133
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	97210
        Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 13.02.2023, 05:43 PM. Reason: Posted image inline

Comment

As the message says, plugins are not available for the App version, install the full version and the plugins from the IrfanView website.
          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Fhrx : while well intentionned, the replies/suggestions above (regarding plugin versions and installation) are incorrect. The actual issue is that the WEBP plugin is missing from the "format" plugin download, even though the page says it is included. I've experienced the issue just a minute ago on a fresh irfanview install (I don't know if this applies to the App version, but it definitely applies to the regular install).

The actual standalone WEBP.dll can be found here, as part of the ZIP containing the x64 plugins : https://www.fosshub.com/IrfanView.html. I found this page through this question on an other forum : https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/66412929

Bhikkhu Pesala : please escalate this to the devs, as this is very frustrating when dealing with a fresh install. WEBP support not being included by default is already annoying enough, but the plugin page being wrong (on top of being poorly formatted) really makes for a frustrating experience when installing the program from scratch. I would bet that many potential users end up going for a different image viewer just because of this.
            Last edited by P.O.; 02.03.2023, 07:11 PM.

Comment

WebP.dll is included in the plugin packages for 4.62, 32-bit and 64-bit.

Name:	32-bit Plugins.png
Views:	2059
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	97365Click image for larger version

Name:	64-bit Plugins.png
Views:	2063
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	97364

Comment

Hello !

No, that's incorrect - at least for the zip download. At this time, the x64 zip supposedly containing all the file format dlls only contains "Formats.dll" and a readme, as such :

Click image for larger version  Name:	2023-03-02 21_35_03-formats_64.zip.png Views:	0 Size:	20.8 KB ID:	97369
                One could expect this "Formats.dll" to cover all special formats not supported by default, but it doesn't, as attempting to open a .WEBP after it being successfully installed results in the error posted above.

Now perhaps there is another issue going on (like the zip being corrupted perhaps, or not compatible with the default win10 unzipper ?), but there is definitely something wrong going on. I can confirm that, since I had to manually search for a dedicated WEPB.dll myself just earlier.

Now perhaps a self-extracting .exe version contains it, but the zip doesn't (which is why the user on the DP forum was confused, too).

Last edited by P.O.; 02.03.2023, 07:44 PM.

Comment

My post above was incorrectly flagged as spam. Please approve.

Comment

WebP.dll is also in the Zip plugin packages. Downloaded from: https://www.fosshub.com/IrfanView.html

Name:	32-bit Zip Plugins.png
Views:	2048
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	97373Click image for larger version

Name:	64-bit Zip Plugins.png
Views:	2078
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	97372

Comment

Hello ! Thank you for the unflag.

And ... yes, that's precisely the problem ! And that's why the user posting on the DP forum was as confused as I am, because users shouldn't have to hunt for a working ZIP on some other website ("fosshub"). The x64 Format.zip package listed on the official plugin page does *not* contain WEBP.dll.

Could you please download the Formats ZIP from the IrfanVew plugin page and have a look yourself ? Unless there is some weird glitch going on, you should end up with the same situation as shown in my screenshot with the orange highlight - that is to say, WEBP.dll being nowhere to be found, as experienced by the OP, the poster on the DP forum, and myself.
                      Last edited by P.O.; 02.03.2023, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Name:	Separate Zip packages.png
Views:	2048
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	97377 If you read the page, you would not have this problem.

Plugins Updated After the version 4.62
                        Only the formats.dll was updated. You need to download the full plugin packages for 32-bit and/or 64-bit.

Click image for larger version  Name:	iv_formats Plugins.png Views:	0 Size:	11.4 KB ID:	97376
                        Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 02.03.2023, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Well, I can only assume that something is being lost in translation in this slightly surreal exchange ...

The plugin page in its current state *is* 100% misleading at best, and erroneous (by omission) at worst, as it starts by mentioning the contents of the x32 formats.zip (highlighted below) , then jumps to providing links the x64 4.62 version of these downloads but without explaining anything about their contents.

*Everyone* would naturally assume that these x64 zip are supporting the same formats, and no one could possibly guess that it is perfectly normal for the x64 version of the formats zip to not provide webp support ... unless it is downloaded from another website. This is why the OP, the user from the DP forum and myself (as well as countless others, most likely) are naturally having trouble with this.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2023-03-02 22_21_17-IrfanView PlugIns.png Views:	0 Size:	51.0 KB ID:	97379

The purpose of the support forums is to help users with their problem, not to tell the users that they should guess something that is not explained anywhere on the official website.
                          Last edited by P.O.; 02.03.2023, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Your highlighted zip is the plugins updated after the release of 4.62.
                            The iv_formats.dll is above that section.
                            You can download the (32-bit) PlugIns as 4 separate ZIP files (for experienced users!):

Inexperienced users should download the packages listed first, that is the ones on Fosshub.

Comment

Well, I can only encourage you to read my above post again ; and *please*, do escalate the issue to the devs, and/or to whoever is in charge of the design of the plugin page. As far as I am concerned I found the anwer to my question on *another* support forum, and I am glad to know that I perhaps helped the OP of this thread too, as well as other future readers perhaps !

And no, there is nothing about a plugin being provided as a zip as opposed to an exe that makes it for "experienced users", despite what the page claims - as anyone who wants to keep their workstation clean would prefer the zip option, regardless of how long they've used Irfanview in the past.

And again, the information about the WEBP plugin being only available through some external "fosshub" download is nowhere to be found.

A proper design for the plugin page would consist of providing a very obvious link to the x64 WEBP.dll right at the top of the page, as this is the very first thing that any user would need after the initial install.
                              Last edited by P.O.; 02.03.2023, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X