Grayscale (again)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grayscale (again)

Is there any way to uncheck the "Save as Grayscale" without actually saving a file with it unchecked?

The reason for this question is that it might be days or more after saving a file as grayscale before the next file is saved.

As far as I can determine, the only option to reset this immediately after saving as grayscale is to save a file to another filename as not grayscale.

Beverly Howard

Try using Image, Convert to Grayscale (Ctrl G) instead.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
      Try using Image, Convert to Grayscale (Ctrl G) instead.
      Good point... thanks.

Beverly Howard

Comment

Originally posted by bevhoward View Post
        Is there any way to uncheck the "Save as Grayscale" without actually saving a file with it unchecked?
        Beverly Howard
        To answer your direct question, I know of only one way and that is to use Batch Conversion/Rename from the File menu. In the Batch dialog under Output format select the file type you want, JPG in this case, and click on Options. The JPEG/GIF save options dialog opens. Uncheck Save as Grayscale and Recheck your Normal options if necessary. Click OK to close that dialog. Then Click Start Batch. You will get a message that reads "No files in the Input list" but just OK that and close the Batch Conversion dialog. Even though it did not actually convert any files you will find that next time you go to Save, your Normal settings have been restored.

While you are doing this you might like to create and save some Profiles, which is the new feature at the bottom of the Save Options box. Set up your Grayscale options, type Grayscale in the empty Profiles box, and click Save. Then set up your Normal options, type Normal, and save that. When you want to use Grayscale settings again, you can press the drop down arrow under Profiles, choose Grayscale and click Load. Then when you want to go back to Normal settings you can choose Normal and load those again. You still have to save a file (or fool the program into thinking it has done so by running an empty Batch process, as above) in order to restore your default settings, but it does help in putting back the options you want.

I have attached a few screenshots below that might help you to follow what I am describing.
        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks... I think the answer is that there is no way to reset the checkbox built into the program without going through an actual file save. I was asking primarily to confirm that I had not missed something obvious.

For me, the simplest solution is to uncheck the box after saving then immediately resave to a junk filename...

Not ideal and a pita, but doing so assures that an important file will not be overwritten later by feeble brains such as mine who tend to "forget."

Thanks for the responses,
          Beverly Howard

Comment

Working...
          X