Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iw4.38 RAW format conversion

Hi.
    I'm new to the forum, so I hope I won't tell too many bullshits (and my poor english will not be too hard to understand)...
    So ... I got a brand new cam with raw capture feature. Yeah.
    But the raw file is unformated (I guess), it's just a RAW file. iw 4.38 opens it with the good input param (ie 1280*960 24b BGR), but I wanted raw editors to open it too, and I can't (they dont understand the format -- ufraw, rawterapy, LR, ... no software could open it except irfanview and imageJ).
    So, I was wondering if there's a way iw can save raw files into ... Let's say dng format (or crw... I don't really mind).
    iw seems to be able to open all of these raw formats, but not to save as.

Am I missing something? Will there ever be an opportunity to do so in iw (if not already)?

Thanx to all of you, and hope I didn't bother too much

Chu.
    Last edited by chu; 05.08.2014, 10:00 AM.

There's a free Adobe DNG convertor somewhere.

IrfanView can open the fullsized image, and not just the half-sized preview image if you change the default setting in Options.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Thx Bhikkhu, but I also tried the adobe dng converter, and it isn't able to read my raw file. Maybe due to 24b ?

Comment

Camera model?

Could you tell what camera are you using? Or, even better, provide a link to a sample raw file? It would make things much easier. IV can display embedded jpg or the raw file, if the camera model is already supported by it's raw plugin. It is not a raw "developer", though. If you are shooting raw, you want a dedicated programme to do it right.

Have a nice day!

Mart
        IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

Hi Jacal, here is a link to a file I took.

The cam is a pointgrey cam:
          Teledyne FLIR is the world leader in the design, manufacture, and marketing of thermal imaging infrared cameras.

This one if it can help.

irfanview opens it in 1280*960 24b BGR
          Last edited by chu; 05.08.2014, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Chu,

this format is really something special and I have nothing useful to add. As you said, it isn't recognised by Adobe or dcraw based programmes. It is nice, that IrfanView can display these images, but since it is limited to 8-bit (per channel) colour depth, it can not export an useful picture (for 'advanced' editing).

I have been fiddling with ImageJ, trying to convert to 16-bit tiff, without success. (Are you sure, the photo was shot in 16-bit format?)

I would expect some software bundled with such a camera.

If you find a solution, please inform us. If you want and let me use your picture - I can upload it somewhere, if you don't want the link to your google drive travel around - I can make a thread on another forum, where more people, experienced in using raw formats, spend their time.

Anyway, have a nice day!

Mart
            IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

Of course jacal, feel free to use it.
              Just one little thing to add is that it might not be 16 bit... It Says "y16". Don't know what it means. Last, it is "Big endian" if ever it means anything to you...
              Thanx anyway. I'll be away for two weeks, so don't get nervous if I don't answer.

Comment

If I understand correctly, the camera can make 8- and 16-bit raw files. Perhaps you should, when you get time, try both and give additional samples. The 'big endian' info is actually needed for conversion, I think.

Have a good vacation!

P.S. What is the main purpose of this camera?
                IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

My purpose is telecine, but the cam can be used for cctv or scientific imaging.

Comment

Thank you!
                    IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

Hi, I put 2 more files in the same folder

y16.raw and y8.raw.

So I guess this will be a litlle more convenient if you want to share.
                      Thanks in advance.

Chu

Comment

If ever someone wants sources, there are linux and mac sources here.

I didn't test it yet, but it seems the dng sdk provides the 2 libs needed to build the soft.
                        Don't have any C knowledge, but I'll try to build the exe for win in two weeks.
                        If someone builds it before...

++
                        Chu

Comment

Working...
                        X