Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to show image order number in a random slideshow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it possible to show image order number in a random slideshow?

$X shows what number the image is in the folder, however, I was wondering if there was a way to show this:

For example, say I have a folder of 642 images in my random slideshow. The first image to load is #312 in the folder, but as it's the first in the slideshow, it shows as 1/642.

The second image to load is #61 in the folder, but as it's second it shows 2/642.

Hopefully I have explained that well enough, and there is a way to get this awesome program to do this. It would make my life a LOT easier!

I have just tried it and it already does exactly as you ask.
    I set up the slideshow dialog below and ran it. The first 5 slides to be shown were captioned as
    283/546
    68/546
    336/546
    64/546
    175/546

Since the images still have the file names as they came from the camera, I changed the Show text box to $N $X and was then able to check that the last 3 digits of the file names all matched the index numbers which were being displayed in the random order.
    I did try checking the Loop show to see if that made a difference but it was still the same.
    I am using 32-bit Win 7 with Irfanview 4.38 but I would not have expected that to make any difference.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Slideshow dialog.png
Views:	1
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	81127

Comment

Originally posted by Mij View Post
      I have just tried it and it already does exactly as you ask.
      I set up the slideshow dialog below and ran it. The first 5 slides to be shown were captioned as
      283/546
      68/546
      336/546
      64/546
      175/546

Since the images still have the file names as they came from the camera, I changed the Show text box to $N $X and was then able to check that the last 3 digits of the file names all matched the index numbers which were being displayed in the random order.
      I did try checking the Loop show to see if that made a difference but it was still the same.
      I am using 32-bit Win 7 with Irfanview 4.38 but I would not have expected that to make any difference.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3845[/ATTACH]
      All the files have different names/numbers in them, so this method would not work for me, unfortunately. Manually renaming them all would take me a long time, as there are over 4,000 images spread over multiple folders. Thank you, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Plus Power View Post
        All the files have different names/numbers in them, so this method would not work for me, unfortunately. Manually renaming them all would take me a long time, as there are over 4,000 images spread over multiple folders. Thank you, though.
        Use the Batch renaming feature.

freeware, OpenType, DTP, font-editing, font manager, learning Pali, Character Map, Best Browsers, Screen Capture, Image Viewer, Stitch Panoramas, PDF Editor, PDF Viewer, Archiving, Create Fonts
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post

Sorry, I've actually just realised that this still wouldn't fix what I want. I'll try and explain again.

Example Slideshow with 642 images:

1st image is 123/642, what I want Irfanview to show is 1/642

2nd image is 244/642, what I want Irfanview to show is 2/642

and so on, and so forth. I want the first image Irfanview loads to be marked as 1/642 no matter what image it is in a random slideshow.

Hope that clears up any confusion

Comment

I think you misunderstand, Plus Power. I am not suggesting that you rename the files.
            What I am saying is that for me the index numbers of the slides do not appear in a "random slideshow" as 1/642, 2/642, 3/642 as you reported, but as a random sequence such as 283/546, 68/546, 336/546, 64/546, 175/546.
            I only used the folder with files names in numerical order to check that the apparently random sequence of index numbers I saw were in fact the index numbers of the images being displayed.
            I have also tried it with a (rather smaller) folder of files with completely arbitrary names. The index numbers are still shown in a random sequence and those numbers did represent the position in the Slideshow list, of the images that were being displayed along with them. That was the case whether I sorted by Name or by Date or anything else. The Index number shown is always where the image is in the Slideshow list as currently sorted.

Edit: Sorry I replied before noticing that you had posted again. We are then in agreement as to how the index numbers are currently displayed. What you want to know is how far you have got through a random show, just as you can see it in a non-random show. The "index number" displayed in a random show would then tell you nothing about the image you are currently looking at, just how many you have seen so far.
            Last edited by Mij; 14.08.2014, 09:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mij View Post
              I think you misunderstand, Plus Power. I am not suggesting that you rename the files.
              What I am saying is that for me the index numbers of the slides do not appear in a "random slideshow" as 1/642, 2/642, 3/642 as you reported, but as a random sequence such as 283/546, 68/546, 336/546, 64/546, 175/546.
              I only used the folder with files names in numerical order to check that the apparently random sequence of index numbers I saw were in fact the index numbers of the images being displayed.
              I have also tried it with a (rather smaller) folder of files with completely arbitrary names. The index numbers are still shown in a random sequence and those numbers did represent the position in the Slideshow list, of the images that were being displayed along with them. That was the case whether I sorted by Name or by Date or anything else. The Index number shown is always where the image is in the Slideshow list as currently sorted.
              Oh, ok. I assume that means I am asking for something Irfanview cannot (currently) do? I was hoping there would be a way for it to just show you how many images you have gone through at least, even if that means the total amount of images in the slideshow list is not shown.

Comment

Irfanview does not actually display a "Random slideshow" when you select it. Instead it shuffles the list into a random order before the show starts and then displays the shuffled images exactly the same way as for an unshuffled show. You never see the same image again until the whole set has been shown.

If that shuffled list was saved as Slideshow.lst whenever the show was started (or re-looped) then I suppose that you could have an index which counted in numerical order, as it does for a normal, unshuffled show. Index number 6, for example, would always be the sixth on the list when you opened the dialog again, whichever type of show had been playing. The option to resume a show where you had left off by using the index number would also be possible for a random slideshow, which it is not at present. If you wanted to restore the original unshuffled list it would be easy enough to use Sort files to do so.

Perhaps you might want to propose that as a Feature request.

Comment

Working...
                X